Safe place

Options
carimiller7391
carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
I am considering starting a group...... Called "It's safe here to share" I'd like to make it open to everyone here and in a few of my other groups. (BUT a closed group so that we do not get people in there making fun of or disrespecting anyone.....) I'm wondering if part of the reason many people do not share or disclose here is that this is suppose to be a group for the morbidly obese; however, things tend to go off topic. I am THE biggest offender of this.

Maybe if we/I created a place for us to share feelings/emotions separate and closed, we may get more people who will join, chime in. There are a few people on the WW board whom have been sent by God to me right now, because they make me feel safe and supported.

What are your thoughts??

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I really don't know why folks don't stay active here. We've all backslide a time or 4000, and I'm in a backslide right now, but staying active is what keeps me sane. I'd be up for a group like that... Close groups aren't searchable by google. This group is.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Carly and those that read/respond after.... I've created the group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/117442-a-safe-place-to-share

Carly, I'd like you to one of the moderators along with myself and my friend Yvonne.

It's a closed group. I will not tolerate ANY negativity towards other members. I'd also like to make it clear...... This group is for those willing to share. 10 days of silence or "lurking" and you will be deleted. This may sound harsh, but I created this group as 99% of us realize that weight loss is not about the number on the scale, but getting mentally right.
  • Kahniab13
    Kahniab13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know it's been almost a full year since this has been discussed but are you still accepting members?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The group there is not overly active, but it comes and goes in spurts. You're welcome to join, @Kahniab13
  • Kahniab13
    Kahniab13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I am just looking for people who are going through the same weight struggles and who are overcoming them, I'm eager to learn the tricks and techniques people are using to lose weight healthfully.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I hate to disillusion you, but really, there are no tricks. Just the hard work and sacrifice and PATIENCE...we all have heard about. Sometimes, dietary intake changes and makes some of the hardest part easier, but there really are no tricks. It's hard, it takes forever, and if you're lucky, sometimes you don't hate doing it... But gaining health, we get a ton of out of it.

So, I'm not wanting to be Debbie Downer, but just a ... voice of realistic expectation. (HUGS)
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    The tricks and techniques are different for everyone, because everyone thinks differently. For most people, I think the major difficulties in weight loss are psychological rather than physical; the big realisation I had that changed things for me is that I don’t perceive physical hunger at all, all my hunger cues are psychological.

So I do a lot of distraction (hungry? Then bury yourself in a complicated project or go out for a walk) and telling myself how big and satisfying my current portions are until I believe it :) Also, foods I don’t actively want won’t satisfy my brain so there’s no point in my eating a big dish of vegetables when what I want is a burger. Half a burger, however, will hit the spot just fine.

All of it comes down to eating much fewer calories. It’s just how you make that easier for yourself.