No sugar for 7 days

Options
cxdyer
cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
My challenge is no processed sugar of any kind and no sugar substitute for 7 days. ( Agave, pure maple syrup and honey acceptable since they aren't processed chemicals). Can you do it?

Replies

• VixB1842
    VixB1842 Posts: 36
    Options
    ooh...that sounds like a real real challenge. Ok...until 4.30pm (UK time) Thursday 25th July I will have no sugar for 7 days. I will try my very very best!
  • cxdyer
    Options
    ooh...that sounds like a real real challenge. Ok...until 4.30pm (UK time) Thursday 25th July I will have no sugar for 7 days. I will try my very very best!

Yeah, way to go!!! We can encourage each other!!
  • VixB1842
    Options

Yeah, way to go!!! We can encourage each other!!

Woohoo! Its going to be difficult for me...I love orange squash and pepsi max but have been looking for an excuse to cut them out :D this will also give me the push I needed to making my own healthy milkshakes and icelollies (my friend bought me an icelolly maker for christmas as a joke but have always wanted to actually use it :D)

Good luck!! Looking forward to hearing about how you get on with it!
  • Nataliea87
    Nataliea87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow, this would be so hard for me! I'm going to watch you guys do it first. I've only been consistently tracking my meals on MFP for about 2 weeks now, and I have to say that my sugar intake is definitely my biggest issue.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'll try it starting Saturday. It's easier when you can prep, and I am not prepped.

Are you doing just no sugar? Or no refined sugars?
  • cxdyer
    Options
    I'll try it starting Saturday. It's easier when you can prep, and I am not prepped.

Are you doing just no sugar? Or no refined sugars?

I'm doing no refined sugars, no processed sugars. I do allow myself some agave, honey or pure maple syrup since it's a healthier carb/fat.
  • cxdyer
    Options
    Wow, this would be so hard for me! I'm going to watch you guys do it first. I've only been consistently tracking my meals on MFP for about 2 weeks now, and I have to say that my sugar intake is definitely my biggest issue.

It's not easy, thats for sure, but watching for a while will give you ideas for healthier sugar alternatives (when craving something sweet)
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Most agave is processed so it is as bad for you as corn syrup, sadly.

I'll join with you. I rarely eat anything added sugar, but ate some dark chocolate this week. Otherwise the only sugar I've eaten in probably 6 months is honey, but I try to limit that to maybe a spoonful a couple times a week at most. Most of my sugar comes from fresh fruits and veggies.

It's really only hard to do at first. You'll be shocked at the things that are loaded with sugar - ketchup, pasta sauce, bread, you name it. But once you get the initial cravings out of your system it's really not bad at all. And other things without added sugar start tasting really sweet on their own. Fruit, beets, etc.
  • VixB1842
    Options
    Ok so I'm on day 6 and sorry to say I have fallen off the wagon twice...once I had no idea about and the other was a complete low moment where the need for icecream overcame everything else. The first one, my boss made me coffee and put sugar in it which I didn't realise until I got to the bottom of the mug...gutted. I was sooo nearly fooled with pasta sauce! Luckily I saw it and made my own from. The hardest for me has definitely been ketchup (used to drown everything in it and can't find an alternative as yet...any suggestions please!) the easiest that I didn't think would be is carbonated drinks, squash and juice...it has been cheaper and easier to not have it and I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would have. Turns out just having good old water is more than fine!
    chocolate is a rare treat for me anyway so going a week without it hasn't been noticed really. Switched my sugar on my morning porridge to honey or just fruit which has been fine too...
    In terms of things Ill keep with, I reckon I will definitely stop having diluted drinks and stick with water/ homemade iced tea. Ketchup and condiments, well Im going to have to find an alternative for as I can't bare the thought of living without them.
    Everything in moderation I guess but this has really opened my eyes up to how many things are put in our foods without us really thinking about it!
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Personally, I put hot sauce on everything instead of ketchup. Obviously you'd need to like spicy food, but you can find plenty of them that are just vinegar, chiles/peppers, garlic and salt, and some are fairly mild.
  • cxdyer
    Options
    Ok so I'm on day 6 and sorry to say I have fallen off the wagon twice...once I had no idea about and the other was a complete low moment where the need for icecream overcame everything else. The first one, my boss made me coffee and put sugar in it which I didn't realise until I got to the bottom of the mug...gutted. I was sooo nearly fooled with pasta sauce! Luckily I saw it and made my own from. The hardest for me has definitely been ketchup (used to drown everything in it and can't find an alternative as yet...any suggestions please!) the easiest that I didn't think would be is carbonated drinks, squash and juice...it has been cheaper and easier to not have it and I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would have. Turns out just having good old water is more than fine!
    chocolate is a rare treat for me anyway so going a week without it hasn't been noticed really. Switched my sugar on my morning porridge to honey or just fruit which has been fine too...
    In terms of things Ill keep with, I reckon I will definitely stop having diluted drinks and stick with water/ homemade iced tea. Ketchup and condiments, well Im going to have to find an alternative for as I can't bare the thought of living without them.
    Everything in moderation I guess but this has really opened my eyes up to how many things are put in our foods without us really thinking about it!

I know you are in the UK, but here in Texas we can buy ketchup that is sweetened with agave. Agave, in my opinion, is way better than white sugar. Plus, the amount ketchup has in it compared to candy or cakes is not that much anyway. Its better than giving up ketchup!!!!
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you want to do a no sugar challenge, leave out the agave for sure... And honey, and all that other stuff. Sugar is sugar whether its processed or not.
  • VixB1842
    Options
    Yeah I did think about whether it makes any difference...just like a calorie is a calorie debate, I was sure there was going to be a gram of sugar is a gram of sugar narrative evolving. The main thing I have found is that cutting out things with excess sugar in (processed or not) has actually helped me because it means I'm eating less sugar overall which means less calories in the long run and I haven't experienced the ups and downs in energy levels I usually do, so for me anyway this week has been a positive eye opener.

I think Im going to try and make my own ketchup actually, although its good to know lower sugar ketchup is available (haven't seen it here though)
    This week to make them sugar free I have made my own pasta sauce, salsa, chili sauce and bbq marinade (the bbq marinade is a great recipe if anyone wants it...still has sugar but the only sugar in it comes from fresh mango).
    I don't think I would want to cut out any type of sugar altogether, I have a stupid sweet tooth, what I am avoiding now is artificial sweeteners and types of sugar I can't pronounce hehe.
    It works for me, guess everyone needs to find whatever helps them accomplish their goal.
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did think about whether it makes any difference...just like a calorie is a calorie debate, I was sure there was going to be a gram of sugar is a gram of sugar narrative evolving. The main thing I have found is that cutting out things with excess sugar in (processed or not) has actually helped me because it means I'm eating less sugar overall which means less calories in the long run and I haven't experienced the ups and downs in energy levels I usually do, so for me anyway this week has been a positive eye opener.

I think Im going to try and make my own ketchup actually, although its good to know lower sugar ketchup is available (haven't seen it here though)
    This week to make them sugar free I have made my own pasta sauce, salsa, chili sauce and bbq marinade (the bbq marinade is a great recipe if anyone wants it...still has sugar but the only sugar in it comes from fresh mango).
    I don't think I would want to cut out any type of sugar altogether, I have a stupid sweet tooth, what I am avoiding now is artificial sweeteners and types of sugar I can't pronounce hehe.
    It works for me, guess everyone needs to find whatever helps them accomplish their goal.

Well it sounds like you're on the right track! Keep on it girl!