deny them not to me before I die:
8 Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that is needful for me,
9 lest I be full and deny you
and say, “Who is the Lord?”
or lest I be poor and steal
and profane the name of my God.

For me, this is a reminder that I must rely on God for my strength. Too often I find myself relying on myself when in need or assuming the credit when I have success. This is one of my favorite passages to keep me balanced.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Although this passage is talking about words (I believe), I think it could be used for those of us for whom gluttony is a temptation. Psalm 141:3-4

3 Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth;
    keep watch over the door of my lips!
    4 Do not let my heart incline to any evil,
    to busy myself with wicked deeds
    in company with men who work iniquity,
    and let me not eat of their delicacies!

Food, at least for me, can be the biggest addiction faced. So much of what we do as a society revolves around food. There is much talk about feasting in the Bible - both in the New Testament and the Old Testament - but it is in the context of praise and worship of God. See Nehemiah beginning at 8:10 as one example.

There are other examples in the Bible about feasting which are condemned as they are centered on essentially worshiping the act of the feast or the food/drink.

I don't know if anyone else will read this or if it will be of any help to anyone else. I only know putting this into words helps to cement into my mind more firmly how I need to view food.