Desert running?

ksnoe
ksnoe Posts: 5 Member
Hi everyone! Im Kayla and I'm new. Training for 13.1 in May and it's in the Las Vegas. Do you have any training tips for someone who is currently buried in 2 feet of snow to prep for a desert trail run? Thank you!!

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    One way you can get your body to adapt to warm weather running is to overdress for the current conditions. The danger in your case, however, is sweating too much in cold weather, risking hypothermia. Ways to get around that are to run indoor (again, overdressed) or run shorter loops so you can change out of sweat-soaked clothes into dry clothes if you start getting cold.

Good luck on your half!
  • ksnoe
    ksnoe Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you for your help!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    @ksnoe, I was thinking about this some more. I don't think you need to worry about the heat just yet. The body is a master of adaptation and that adaptation comes quickly. As I recall reading one time, you can adapt for the heat in just 6 weeks and beyond that, you don't get any more benefits of heat training.

I'm throwing out "6 weeks" as the the amount I *think* is right, but you should do a bit of googling and see if that's right.

I don't have time right now to read through these and summarize (or to even know if they address your particular issue), but I encourage you to read them. Dr. Cucuzella is wicked smart about running and the science behind running.

http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2012/09/03/running-heat/

Here's another link that may hold some good insight
    http://www.irunfar.com/2009/02/heat-acclimation.html

I think you'll find that there's no reason to do anything special for a desert run until a month or two before the race. Before then just get your miles in and avoid injury.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    I would recommend if you are running outside at all, stick with your normal attire...although I am not sure how you would be running outside in that amount of snow. If you are indoor running, then layer up and get all 60's and toss on a track suit. Just make sure you have PLENTY of hydration, as this training is always a bit risky.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    One thing about racing in Las Vegas is it can be very windy and dusty. Bring something you can pull over your mouth and nose. Red Rock Canyon is a beautiful area. Hopefully early May won't be too hot. Looks like you'll need to practice sustained uphills.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I have never heard that dressing up in a wrestling sweat suit and jumping up and down in a sauna -- or whatever is being suggested -- is a good way to adapt to the sweating you'll be doing on a desert run.
    I think what is going to be more important is to be ready for the hills and to dress properly for the race itself (loose, light clothing that provides sun protection; the sun will be your enemy, not the heat.).
    All that said, I do not think May is excessively hot in Las Vegas, and the race likely will start early in the day.
    I would, however, recommend going out to Las Vegas a few days early and taking a few practice runs to acclimatize a bit. I used to travel a lot. I live in the West, where the air is very dry, with no altitude. I often found that the first run somewhere else, like Chicago, where it is humid, was a bit difficult. But, by the second run, or especially the third run, I had adjusted.
    Good luck!