Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calories burn...

sizco25
sizco25 Posts: 18 Member
How accurate is the Calories burn on the Fitbit is it really? i track my calories daily on MFP im looking to get a Fitbit here soon.. and Never knew how many cals i was burning anyways.. but when it adjusts with MFP is that the TRUE calories you really have burned? lol.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    It can be - if you are about average for the person they built it for.

It can be very accurate for average daily activity, with an increase of walking they encourage.
    May have to adjust your stride length if not average so the distance and therefore calories are best estimates.

Other workouts depends on what they are, and what device you have.

HR is bad for estimating calorie burn on anything non steady-state (same HR for 2-4 min) and and non-aerobic - like lifting and intervals where HR is up and down constantly.
    But if you do 45 min weekly and are NOT otherwise a couch potato - no big whoop.
    If you are a couch potato and do 5-6 hrs weekly of a badly estimated workout - then bigger deal.

You have to ask yourself though.
    Is this device that is actually seeing your movement daily getting a better idea of your calorie burn, compared to you guessing between 4 rough levels of daily activity and hope you are inputting correct exercise info for rest of it?

How would you know if your guess was even close?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    If you've been logging your calorie intake and weightloss for at least a month or two, you already know how many calories you're burning. Weight loss tells you deficit. Add deficit to calorie intake to get calorie burn.

By doing that, I can say that, for me, my FitBit Charge 2 does an excellent job of estimating my daily calorie burn. I am a person who fits the previous poster's description - I am on my feet a *lot* as part of day to day life. I only "work out" twice a week (for an hour each time).