Why do we binge?

Options
ErikH14
ErikH14 Posts: 7 Member
I binge for several reasons:
1. Really good food, or good food that for some reason is really tasty at the time. For instance, a super burrito is both for me, and something that once I start eating, I can't stop. My self restraint and intelligent thought turn off while I'm eating, so any thoughts of stopping are really faint.
2. Boredom. Wandering around the house during the day when no one's home, It's not that I'm really bored, but I'm not engaged in anything active at the time. It's like down time, when I can just relax, but it's hard for me to relax and not eat.
3. Fasting. If I haven't eaten much (usually because I'm trying not to overeat) during the day, then when I do finally eat, I lose control.
4. Getting ready to eat healthy "starting tomorrow". If I've already lost some control during the day, I'll rationalize that this is the last fling, and tomorrow I'll get back in control, so why not enjoy myself today? This is also used for getting rid of foods that will throw me off (eat it up now so it won't tempt me later).

I think if we know the reasons why we overeat, we can start to fix them.