Birth Control after baby?

Options
What birth control method(s) are you planning to use after you deliver, or have you used in the past after delivering? I will be breastfeeding, so I guess I can't be on the regular BC pill.

I'm thinking maybe the mini pill or an IUD?

Replies

• Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Last time I BF and we used nothing except natural methods (if we got pregnant I wouldn't have been upset) and likely we will do the same thing again. I didn't want to use anything with hormones because of the BF.
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've used the mini pill in the past and probably will this time too.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I went back on BC after my first. But after going off of it again, I discovered it was a major factor in my migraines. After this one, we are done so I'm getting my tubes tied!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It takes me about a year to get my cycles back, so we should know by then whether we're done or not. We've used natural family planning for the last 12 years with no surprises, but when we're done for good my husband will have a vasectomy (if he still wants that, but I'm not having a tubal).
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was advised by doctors to not have anymore babies :( I'm might try and get with a doctor later in life to see if that has changed but until then I have a mirena. It did hurt a bit because I had an emergency c-section with my baby I have had no problems with it this far.
  • queenmolly68
    Options
    all forms of hormonal birth control mess me up, bad. Hubby is getting snipped after baby is born. Great solution when you know you are done having kids!
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    In the past I have used the mini pill while breast feeding- I didn't have bad side effects (I get headaches, bloating, nausea, etc from the combo pill) but the annoying part is taking it at the same time every single day. Planning to use it again this time around till I stop nursing.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    this is #5 I know that previously I have not started cycling till over a year after birth so for now we are going on that but being #5 (for me #6 for hubby) we are pretty sure this is it so he will go in sometime in the next year, we want to make sure everything is fine with this baby. The last one I was not comfortable with him going in this time I'm okay with it.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Don't like taking hormones at all and don't like the thought of what an IUD does, so I'll probably go back to using the contraceptive cap. Am probably done after baby #5, but don't want any unnecessary medical procedures either nor would I ask my partner to undergo such.
  • courtneydeewalk
    Options
    I'll be charting my temp and ovulation. All natural, no hormones... and on the off chance we do get pregnant again, that's okay too. But if you chart correctly... it is more effective than most other forms of BC.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So charting is effective even if you aren't ovulating somewhat regularly yet after the baby? I mean, can you still go on your temperature and so forth to avoid having sex during ovulation time?

I guess I'm worried about being irregular but getting pregnant. I got pregnant quickly, on the second cycle, and my husband and I want more kids, but not for a few more years.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I respect those that do it all naturally, charting etc. I don't have the control for that as I find my libido is highest when I'm ovulating and that I'm more likely to make the decision 'oh, it probably doesn't matter' when I'm ovulating then later wonder 'what was I thinking taking the risk?'.
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am going to get an IUD after I am done recovering. I am thinking skyla rather than mirena since that is good for 3 years rather than 5 and is closer to the spacing we would like between kids. I was using nuvaring before starting to try for pregnancy so I really don't want to go back to taking a pill every day. I respect charting since that is what got me pregnant :), but I honestly don't want to be thinking about that stuff all the time, and I really don't want to end up pregnant earlier than expected. Condoms and diaphragms seem horribly inconvenient and easier to be in a situation where I might think "oh I just had my period, I can't get get pregnant yet" and just skipping it. I could see that happening for me. So the IUD seems like a no brainer in my situation.
  • courtneydeewalk
    Options
    It isnt JUST charting. You have to pay attention to your cervical mucus and the like. It probably isnt as reliable if you have irregular ovulation. Like I said I wouldn't use ONLY temping/charting if we absolutely did not want another kid... but if we ended up pregnant, it wouldnt be upsetting.

Taking Control of Your Fertility is a wonderful book and is not just for getting pregnant, a majority of the book is based on avoiding pregnancy if it is not wanted! Obviously it can also be used for getting pregnant (it is what me and the hubs used and got pregnant the first month after trying with no success for over a year).
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am also a big fan of Taking Charge of Your Fertility!
    It has great information that I never really learned about my body elsewhere- really taught me a lot!
    A good read whether or not you choose to use the methods (or some but not all)
  • aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I took birth control pills for years before I got pregnant with my son and I had no problems. Afterwards, I tried the mini pill while BF'ing and it totally messed me up so I went off it and used condoms. After BF'ing, I tried the regular pill again and it messed me up again. Went off of that and we started trying for this little one. Unfortunately, we ended up with some fertility issues and that's where we started charting BBT and cervical mucus. It was very reliable for me. I had thought about getting an IUD, checked into hormonal and copper varieties...and I really didn't like all the side effects and possible complications that are possible with IUD's. I've decided to go back to charting BBT and cervical mucus and use condoms if we are in the mood around ovulation. It was so reliable and we had such a hard time getting pregnant even with fertility treatments that I'm not worried about any surprises. BUT...if we were surprised with a 3rd little one, it would be a very pleasant and very welcome surprise :)
  • AngelineTheBaker
    AngelineTheBaker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When I check out of the hospital with a baby, my husband is checking in for a vasectomy :)

I did Mirena after my last child and had it taken out a year later. I had terrible problems with it.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't count on breast feeding as the sole form of contraception unless you really don't mind back-to-back babies. "Less likely" to conceive while breast feeding does not make it effective birth control.
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    The plan was for my husband to get a vas but now he's acting reluctant & it made me realize I am done having kids. Even tho he definitely claims to be also. Unfortunately, with our relationship being so rocky I think the best bet is for me to get my tubes tied. That way I have my permanent BC even if I don't always have him. :-\
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    We will not be using anything. Theoretically I'm infertile and at my first OB every single visit they made a point to tell me how impossible this baby is - before we knew I had issues we had always wanted 3, so we decided if I get pregnant again, fantastic (although it took 4 years of unprotected sex, some of that with high powered fertility tx going on too, to get here) and if we don't, c'est la vie. We decided we'd discuss BC if we ever get pregnant again.

Of course the way I feel right now, at 29 1/2 weeks and miserably tired, I'm all for a tubal at the moment ironically. I know that won't last though.