Postnatal

Options
Curlychip
Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
Hello
Im looking to get into lifting again (I made a start before) and I am 4 months postnatal now. Still pretty weak in the core after another caesarean but I can stand up without turning to the side now ;-)
If I started with bodyweight exercises, what do you think the signs would be that I could start with the bar?
Also, do you think I could just stick to press ups rather than bench press in the longer term or would you improvise a bench?
Thank you!

Replies

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on your little one! Have you been cleared by your OB/GYN to start working out again? How bad was your diastasis recti? If your health care provider gives you the ok I don't see why you couldn't start with bodyweight and work your way up. I hired a trainer for a few sessions when I was starting SL to make sure my form was solid before picking up a bar I've only had one CS and am further out from it than you, but my weak abs aren't proving to be a problem at this point.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should check with your Dr. to make sure it's okay to train again. After you're cleared keep in mind that ligaments can be loose for up to a year after giving birth so make sure to keep a hawk eye on form and make sure your movements are controlled.

• Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you :-) I got my standard 3 month mother and baby check with the GP (I'm in the UK) but nothing comprehensive and the ob/gyn lost interest on day 4 :D
    I think I still have a diastasis recti, but no major hernia.
    Ill try keep a close eye on form. Its so frustrating not being able to do what I could!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I get the frustration, totally. Just try to be patient and remember it'll take longer if you push yourself beyond what you can do right now and end up injuring yourself. You'll regain your strength, but your body is still recovering from birth and a major surgery. Outside layers heal fast, but the inside layers may take longer, especially the muscles you constantly use (e.g. abs). Maybe you can test yourself out by doing a few sets of bodyweight squats, or squats wearing/carrying your baby and see how you feel the next day or two afterward. If those feel fine, add a couple lb next time. If you're sore and stiff, go easy. I remember being surprised even a few months out when my incision would give me a twinge if I overdid something a little.