Late night sync issue - suggestions?

Options
I have had Flex 2 for a couple of weeks, it seems to give me appropriate calorie burn and generally syncs with MFP. However, I have a very specific issue I couldn't find on here:

I get a large adjustment later in the day as I do my excercise in the evening, and MFP ups its projection for the remaining hours. However I go to sleep soon after that. On some evenings fitbit and MFP will sync in the middle of the night and MFP will correct its assumption with my actual (lower) burn for the last hours of the evening, but on some days it only syncs after that exercise and that is the last sync for the day so I am left with an unrealistically large adjustment. (I can see the last syn tyme in the MFP iOS app).

Now, I can see in Fitbit the actual calories burned, but that kind of defeats the point. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Ideally, I would have loved to tell both MFP and Fitbit to start/end the day in the evening before I go to bed, but I can't see how to do this. Has anyone succeeded in doing something like that?

Alternatively, I have "all day sync" and "always connected" off in Fitbit, would turning them on fix this, and which one, or both?

Or is it an unrelated issue that I am unaware of?

To reiterate, syncing during the day is fine, it's the last night time sync that doesn't always happen.

Replies

• Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have all day sync on and always connected off. All day sync randomly syncs to mfp/Fitbit, with both off it syncs when you open the app. Are you manually syncing when done with workout since both options are set to off in the app?
    And since u have a flex without a clock display to worry about the only thing I can think of is you could tool around with changing your time zones on MFP and Fitbit to match a end of day/start new day that works for u using a timezone where it is midnight compared to the time you want to reset. Extreme example without looking it up on phone since I game with a friend online in France. Where I'm at in florida at 6pm I know it's midnight in France. So if you want reset at bedtime say 10pm. Find out where it's midnight elsewhere and choose that time zone.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The timezpne idea is an interesting option, thanks!

It doesn't only sync manually. Bluetooth is on anyway so it syncs when I open either app but also at some other times - I believe I read somewhere that Fitbit syncs to MFP after every 100 cal burned or so. But half the time the last sync (non-manual) is some time after midnight and all is fine, half the time it is some time earlier in the evening.

I'll play around with all day sync to see what results I get. If all else fails, I'll tweak the time sones.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The battery on my Flex was dying, so I only turned on "All Day sync" when I was home. That might help.

You might also see better calorie adjustments if you have Fitbit set to "Sedentary" rather than "Personalized." I believe Personalized will assume your current activity level is going to continue, whereas Sedentary is closer to BMR calorie burns.

I think you have to be on the website to make the change, but this thread shows you where to do it.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/Change-from-sedentary-to-personalize/td-p/681683

~Lyssa
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It is already set on sedentary. I just found my exact issue on page 13 of the FAQ - missing last sync of the day :( It's a bummer, I was hoping it was only me.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I just went to look myself, and ugh! That is a bummer.

I bet MFP made that change on their end to help with the massive amount of syncing issues people were reporting. Maybe syncing gets staggered (and not based on the user's time zone settings)?

Either way....boo!

~Lyssa