knee pain/discomfort?

Options
fakeittomakeit
fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
I just had my one month anniversary with crossfit and am experiencing some knee discomfort. In the past few days I have done a lot of squat lifts as well as burpies, which may be the culprit. Regardless, have any of you experienced a tightness in the back of your knee? It feels very tight when I fully straighten my leg. My other knee is fine. In addition, there is some discomfort, not so much pain, on the outside of my knee. There is no pain when I stretch or apply pressure to the knee. I'm supposed to do squat snatches today (squat movements don't hurt either) and I don't want to miss the class. If anyone has advice as far as the best stretches, or whether to apply ice/heat, I'd really appreciate it. : )

Replies

• astrocaroline
    astrocaroline Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pain at the back and outside of the knee can be an IT band issue. Does your box have foam rollers? You could try foam rolling down the whole outside of your leg, pausing where you get pain.

I find that my IT bands get tight with crossfit, especially with cycling as cross training. I have lingering runner's knee from half marathon running days too, so I foam roll and ice my knees multiple times a week to keep it all happy.
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    When I first started I used to ice my knee after a session for the first month or so, I honestly thought I had done major damage! I hadn't, they just weren't used to hard work ;) Ice them up, it will go away after a few more sessions.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I have developed osteo-arthritis in my knees from what the doctor calls "over-use". I have to wear a brace or athletic tape on my knee when I workout. When my knee isn't feeling so good, I lay off the running, box jumps, etc. I also take a glucosamine supplements to help with my joints.

I recommend checking out the Mobility WOD website. There are so many good videos and stretches!
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you are holding your weight on your toes when squatting and not on your heels or outside of your foot, this will cause knee pain. Also if when coming up from the floor on the burpees you land more on your toes than flat footed, this will cause the pain as well. Have a coach scrutinize your form. If you are coming up on your toes at all squatting anything, you will need to scale back until you have your form down.

If however, you aren't putting too much weight on your toes, I am stumped. Just please, really take a good hard look at your form, that's usually where problems like this stem from.
  • fakeittomakeit
    fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the input. I am somewhat reassured that there is no pain during movement, but I agree 100% about making sure my form is right. I am definitely going to ice and find good mobility stretches, and although I'm going to the box today, I'm to do little as far as weight. Thanks again, you all were very helpful. : )
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My first 2 weeks of CF I had constant aching in my left knee. it was definitely my form. Now at the end of week 7 my knees feel better than ever after form correction and frequent flexibility work. I also got a pair of knee braces just to keep things lined up and toasty warm during WODs.