Hello

Options
tekwriter
tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
Hi I am a Diabetic, with Hypothyroidism, Arthritis and Migraines. My Rheumatologist recommended gluten free although I found the research a little sketchy. I have also seen some research for gluten free and migraines although it was inconclusive. One of the men on my diabetes boards mentioned being diagnosed with Hashis and going gluten free. That was the first time I had seen mention of gluten with the Thyroid. Well third time is a charm so I have been gluten free for three days now. I am looking for new friends ideas and recipes. Thanks.

Replies

• faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Oh MY ... you haven't found the right info yet then. Gluten is a lectin (WGA). Try googling 'lectins and (your issues)'. I recently walked myself down the gluten > lectin > diseases path through google. I was astounded. Immediately kicked not only wheat, but basically all grains -- and a few other things -- out of my life, and my entire body is thankful. I knew my digestive system had been suffering, but I did not know that the pains in my joints OR my lung issues were related as well. I feel ten years younger.

I do have a wonderful recipe for coconut flour flat bread ... would be happy to share it with you, if you're interested. A world with no bread at all is not a happy place :)
  • faithsimmons526
    Options
    I have to warn you though. If you DO have a gluten intolerance and decide to 'try' going gluten-free, make sure you're ready to give it up for good. I found in the past that re-introducing gluten to my diet after a break caused more havoc than I'd experienced beforehand. Either way tho, symptoms or not, if your body cannot tolerate gluten it will suffer greatly.
  • tekwriter
    Options
    Hi thanks for the research tip. I will look that up. I have been reducing my carbs for the diabetes so have really only had Cauliflour rice till last night. I had one piece of Udies bread. Oh and I am eating grits. I would love the recipe.
  • faithsimmons526
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ok, here ya go:

1 1/2 cups coconut flour
    1/4 cup psyllium husk (I use ground, but I've used whole husks and that works ok too)
    5 tbsp oil or melted butter (I use Can't Believe it's Not Butter Light)
    2 1/2 cups boiling water

Mix the flour and psyllium in a bowl. Add the oil or butter and mix well with a fork, till all the dry ingredients have been incorporated, and it looks all crumbly. Add the water and stir, picking up all the bits. Divide into 6 balls and roll out each between parchment or plastic. Cook in a dry nonstick pan (or spray with cooking spray if, like me, your pans are not the best) until brown on one side. flip and brown the other side. Slice each round in half and you have 2 slices for a sandwich. Net carbs for each flatbread = 3.
  • tekwriter
    Options
    Sounds yummy.
  • faithsimmons526
    Options
    It really IS good, and stays with you too, unlike regular bread.

I just realized I made a batch of this last night, and accidentally only used 1/8 cup of psyllium ... still worked out lol.