Honey and Maple Syrup Replacement in Dessings

Options
bowlerae
bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
I was doing a Pinterest search for keto/LCHF salad dressings. Almost every one of them had honey and/or maple syrup as the sweetener. Is there a better no-low carb sweetener that will also thicken dressings? My primary sweeteners are Stevia and Erythritol (which I used recently in place of molasses and coconut sugar for a BBQ and it did not thicken it up enough). Is amount of honey and maple syrup per serving of dressing so negligible that you don't worry about it? The recipes usually call for around 2 tbsp honey to produce 8-16 oz dressing.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    To my thinking it would be negligible because I wouldn't use much BBQ. I'd just eat 1 less piece of cauliflower (just an example) if I wanted/needed to offset the tad bit honey/maple syrup.

A tablespoon of cornstarch (add your sweetener) has 7 carbs and might make a cup of BBQ sauce thicker than you'd prefer so you might need even less if your interest is "thick" versus the maple/honey flavor. You cold get the maple flavor via maple extract.
  • CandyLZ
    CandyLZ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    neither maple syrup nor honey in recipes would by LCHF, not at least in my journey- I would use either of the sweeteners you have on hand or I have heard of something called fiberyum or Sukrin gold. I would never recommend cornstarch either- if you need a thickener you should use a tiny about of xanthan gum. There are lots of great LCHF recipes for salad dressing and bbq sauce, just google.