OHP I'm sorry I ever swore about you

Options
neandermagnon
neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
As much as I might say I hate the OHP, being my weakest lift and struggling with correct form due to crappy shoulder mobility...

.... I've recently noticed (as has my husband) that my delts are now really amazing :drinker: they've always been a muscle I've been less than happy about, as I have naturally big traps which make my small delts look that much smaller... but now I have bigger, firmer, more shapely delts

so I'm sorry I swore at you OHP :drinker:

Replies

• zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Where are delts? Lucky I'm doing anatomy and physiology next semester, huh?!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Amazing what time, effort and perseverence will do.

Congrats to you! :flowerforyou:
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It's ok - I googled it! I think my delts are developing too. I quite like my shoulders now. :)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Deltoids are part of your shoulder musculature, Zany. It's the very top, outer shoulder muscle.

P.S. I love the OHP. I made up my mind a long time ago that I'm going to be super slow taking the weight up with that because I don't want to ever grow to hate it. It's such a fabulously beneficial lift; I don't want to deprive myself of its benefits.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Where are delts? Lucky I'm doing anatomy and physiology next semester, huh?!

the shoulder muscles:

File:Deltoideus.png

yeah you're lucky... when I was at uni there was no introductory module in anatomy, so I ended up doing a whole bunch of palaeoanthropology modules without enough knowledge of anatomy, so I spent a lot of time in the library trying to find out what the heck all these obscure parts of the skeleton were, before I could understand what the lecturers were going on about.... I did learn though but I still forget what part's what. Learning Latin helps, because they're descriptive names in latin, as in foramen magnum (the hole in the base of the skull where the spinal cord goes in) literally means "big hole"
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Is there an image in the post I just posted? There's supposed to be but I never know if it's not showing because my internet connection is rubbish or because I did something wrong....
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Deltoids are part of your shoulder musculature, Zany. It's the very top, outer shoulder muscle.

P.S. I love the OHP. I made up my mind a long time ago that I'm going to be super slow taking the weight up with that because I don't want to ever grow to hate it. It's such a fabulously beneficial lift; I don't want to deprive myself of its benefits.

that's a really good attitude. I'm trying not to hate any lifts, but the OHP has given me the most trouble and it's still not very good, I've already done a deload on it, just working my way back up again, and my shoulder mobility has improved somewhat.

but it's all paid off :flowerforyou: and I can OHP my almost 7 yr old daughter, who loves being a barbell (she's small and light for her age though)
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I actually have grown very fond of OHP. When I make my reps on that one I high five myself all over the place LOL.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I know what you mean about that. I also had to remind myself when deloading, that I was now finding weights I'd stalled at in the past relatively easy.
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I JUST discovered that I have been using wrong form with the OHP :( I didn't understand why a person needed to drop their head forward. Now I get it. So.. I am not sure what muscles I have been working, but I guess I've been doing it wrong.

Not sure how this will impact the weight I have been using..
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I do appreciate the humbling effects of the OHP. But I'm going to continue to curse it's name, at least until I stop regressing on the infernal thing.
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I injured my shoulder doing OHP, so now I've been doing 15# dumbbells for 30# shoulder presses for a few sets and then just do the bar for a few sets. I wanna strengthen all those muscles before I push any further, it really sucks not progressing, but being immobile up top really sucked haha one armed zumba for a month haha