Protein ideas?

Options
Drueru
Drueru Posts: 46 Member
Hi!
Wondering if any of you lovely plant powered people have any really great ideas for protein. My problem is that each time I go to consume some sort of protein MyFitnessPal tells me there are too many carbs, fat or something else in the mix.. Today I've started consuming hemp hearts just to up my intake!

Replies

• mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Well, as a vegan you won't have protein without carbs. They can be low gi carbs, etc...but they'll be there so if you want to limit your intake you must make sensible choices on your other foods. I.e. pasta, bread, etc...typical starchy things.
    Seitan (assuming you can do gluten) is possibly the vegan protein with the lowest carb content, also tofu doesn't have much but it's higher in fat, unless you can get a hold of low fat tofu that doesn't even exist in my counry. Aww...
    I base my protein intake on vegan day (currently switching) on the protein charts I got on Brendan Brazier's site http://thriveforward.com/ he uses a combination of legumes+vegs+seeds to make complete protein. An example, black beans+spinach+almonds. Must say I'm quite happy with it, for now.
  • 2busy4health
    2busy4health Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)
    What is your reason for wanting more protein? Is there something that makes you think you're lacking? If you're eating a good variety of whole food plant based meals then you should be getting plenty of protein without having to focus on it.
    As they've said above don't stress about carbs from plants, they're jam packed with nutrients. If you're looking for weight loss you may want to focus more on eating a variety of plant based whole foods and then looking at the bottom line of energy in vs energy out, instead of getting too caught up in the macronutrients.
    How have you been going with your eating the last couple of months?
  • coffeebean92
    coffeebean92 Posts: 41 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I will link my favorite protein powder. It is affordable considering its a huge tub and is sweetened with monk fruit and non gmo. I like to add some frozen banana and almond milk and water to it. Super tasty (: https://www.amazon.com/MRM-Performance-Plant-Based-Allergen-Free-Alternative/dp/B00FD2WKQM
    Another idea for protien is to top your food with nutritional yeast. It tastes cheese and is full of protein. You can buy it online or in the bulk section of Whole Foods. Lastly my favorite vegan protein bar is made by Nugo organic it is dark chocolate and I believe has 20 grams of protein. You can get them on amazon or at Whole Foods also (I use the bars more as a treat but the protein factor is great too).