Working and B.E.D.

Options
mweckler
mweckler Posts: 623 Member
Do you find your line of work impacts you and your B.E.D? Or do you find you are more prone to binges while at work? For me I used to be the architect of my own demise. For me I am a Chef, and I am also pretty good with pastries and baking. So before I was diagnosed I would cook and bake and eat and have no control.

Replies

• mweckler
    Options
    I know the feeling, I have to bake cakes, and am making sugar cookies from scratch for tomorrow and trying to not eat them all is quite difficult.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Thats awesome.
  • mweckler
    Options
    I would like to know as well. I did a genetic test to see which medications I responded to, and which to stay away from, as I did not feel the Vyvanse I was taking was working as potently as I needed it to be any more. I was also at the highest dose I could take as well. But for me I have always tended to go towards sweets as my binge item or for snacks as well. I am not sure why that is, maybe because I was fed sugar cubes by my grandmother as a treat when I was very young, or maybe I just really have a sugar addiction. Who knows.
  • mweckler
    Options
    You make a lot of really good points. For me weight was not a big problem until the last 4 years. I would gain weight then be able to lose it and get back to my original weight. But about 4 years ago after my youngest was born I started to put on the weight, and kept on putting it on. Then from the stress of the job I was working at the time, 2 kids, lack of sleep, stress and no outlet plus some marital issues all compiled into B.E.D.
  • Lexikat21
    Lexikat21 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with binge eating a lot more than usual. I work from home, so it's easy for me to binge. I've been caught in the whole cycle of binging, then feeling really guilty and then binging to feel better. I think about food constantly. I'm a mess right now and hate it!
  • skylarkamy
    skylarkamy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back into tracking what I eat to cut down on the self-deception, but also because I've recently started at counseling for binge eating. @Lexikat21 I also have huge issues at work. At home I can manage, but the pace and stress at work don't do me any favors when it comes to binging. I need new coping skills. What works for you guys?
  • mweckler
    Options
    I am the architect of my own demise, as I am a chef and work around food all day. For me my medication helps with the binges, and learning what triggers a binge for me has been helpful as well. Also figuring out the signs that a binge is going to happen then telling someone about it, like texting the wife so she is aware that I am having a hard day.
  • Lexikat21
    Options
    What medications are working for you guys? I'm on a high dose of Zoloft for OCD/anxiety, but it's not really helping.
  • skylarkamy
    skylarkamy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not on meds yet. To be honest, I'm kinda worried they will change me too much, or that I'll feel like I can't be me without them. I plan on talking to the counselor this week. She thinks I may have undiagnosed ADHD that I eat to slow down.
  • mweckler
    Options
    The one most people are on is called Vyvanse. Vyvanse is an ADHD drug that they found can be used to treat B.E.D
  • Lexikat21
    Options
    Thank you for the info on meds. I will talk to my dr about it.
  • cindytomek
    cindytomek Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can someone give me insight into the Vyvanse dosage that has been the most helpful for your BED? I've been on 30 and 40 mg. It hasn't made a huge difference yet. I've been taking for a few months.
  • chr1st1na6464
    chr1st1na6464 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have BED and ADD, but no one has mentioned Vyvanse to me. I currently take Adderall on days that I work. What's the connection? Work stresses me out--and then my go to is to go binge at home. I've been struggling with BED for 30 years...it didn't really impact my weight until I was in my 40's--the younger you are the more I hope that you can get control of it. I never thought I'd weigh almost 400 lbs, but two months ago, that's where I found myself.