Hydration vest on race day, yes or no?

Options
Djproulx
Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
During marathon training, my coach has hammered home the need for us to stay on top of fueling during longer events. As a result, I have been wearing a UD race vest to carry liquid fuels, gels, shot bloks and the like during our long training runs.

My question: Does anyone here wear a vest during the actual race itself, or do you rely soley on aid station fueling?

Replies

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If it is what you have been using to train with then you use it to race with. That way you have all the fueling you need, when you need it, and aren't reliant on the aid stations for anything.

I personally always use my race vests for all long distance races.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use a water belt (with a pouch for fuel and my phone) during training. Depending on the race, I may leave it at home and use aid stations or I may take it with me and race with it. It's important to remember that it's your race; you trained for it. Do what feels right to you and don't worry about what others are doing. :) No one is going to bat an eyelash when you do you.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "Nothing new on race day." But if the vest isn't new, and since you have been using it in your training, not using it would be something new, so, of course, you should use it. Personally, in training for my Half Marathon, I used a hydration belt holding two water bottles, my phone, used for music and/or an emergency, and gel packs. Of course I wore it during the race.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I train with a hydration belt, and I wear it for races longer than 5 miles. A buddy uses a hydration vest, and wears it during marathons and half marathons . . . but Boston doesn't allow backpacks of any kind, including hydration vests. The upshot was he had a sub-optimal hydration plan for Boston 2014 and got dehydrated, ending up in the medical tent. Happy ending, he finished Boston 2016 in good shape. I think he was taking fluid at every aid station in 2016.
  • Djproulx
    Options

My open road races have been at the half marathon distance, which I've handled by carrying a couple gels and taking water from aid stations. My only longer event experience comes from racing a number of 70.3 distance tri's. That's a different game, since bike fueling is easier to manage.

I'm leaning towards wearing the vest for the Va Beach marathon in March. Since this will be my first marathon, I'm sure I'll learn something either way.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

My open road races have been at the half marathon distance, which I've handled by carrying a couple gels and taking water from aid stations. My only longer event experience comes from racing a number of 70.3 distance tri's. That's a different game, since bike fueling is easier to manage.

I'm leaning towards wearing the vest for the Va Beach marathon in March. Since this will be my first marathon, I'm sure I'll learn something either way.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

The argument against carrying water in races is that the extra weight slows you down. While that is certainly an effect, I believe it's a minor effect and that I would lose more time at aid stations than from the weight of carrying my own. My belief is based on the fact that I'm not very good at grabbing water from the wax paper cups, and that I could see myself gaining 6 steps per aid station on a runner ahead of me at a half. He was better at taking the aid station water than I am, but it still slowed him down. The other thing is, if I carry my own water I have it when I want to take a gel, instead of having to time my gels by where the aid stations are.

Different runners will make different choices based on their own competencies and personal preferences. If you understand what the pros and cons are, you are more likely to make a choice that is good for you personally.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    @MobyCarp - You've captured the debate I've been having with myself. My vest carries soft bottles and is only 5 oz when empty, so weight isn't a big deal. Its also the convenience around nutrient timing and the ability to consume known fuels & liquids that has me thinking of wearing it.

My only talent at aid stations is dumping water over my head. Actually getting a full cup of water down my throat in a timely manner is an infrequent occurrence. :)

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I wear a hydration belt in training and in races longer than 5 miles as well. I did get a hydration backpack now that I'm running longer distances for the upcoming summer. I think my longest trail run last year was 11 to 12 miles and I completely depleted my 20 oz of liquids in the belt. It's freaking hot here in Texas so I plan to train and do trail races with the pack come summer. However, I do prefer the hydration belt. It's quieter and takes less space on my body.

I certainly have seen people wear those in races. So, unless there is a rule against them, I would race in what you've trained in...especially if you are comfortable wearing it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp what hydration belt do you use? I've been thinking about going the hydration belt route for my marathon/training, since There's a chance it could get pretty hot (black flag warning) at my marathon, and having the extra water/hydration would be nice.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp what hydration belt do you use? I've been thinking about going the hydration belt route for my marathon/training, since There's a chance it could get pretty hot (black flag warning) at my marathon, and having the extra water/hydration would be nice.

FWIW I use this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EI0XMO8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Snug it tight and it doesn't move around. Carries two 16 oz. bottles, has a pouch for my I Phone 6 and gels. Wearing it in my photo ;-)
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Regarding hot weather choices, I used to train with a belt, but found that it didn't hold enough volume (2 10 oz bottles), since I'm a heavy sweater.

My race vest has a mono screen back, so it allows airflow. For hydration and cooling, the 2 soft bottles provide 32oz capacity in front plus several pockets for gels, salt tabs, etc. When it gets hot, I can put another frozen soft bottle in one of the rear zippered pockets. That way, I get cooling benefits and can swap out as bottles are consumed.

• MobyCarp
    Options

I have 2 belts. The older Nathan belt is something like this. It holds 2 bottles, and came with 10 oz. bottles. But there seems to be a design flaw in the 10 oz. bottles, as they spring leaks on the seams after a while. Newer Nathan belts use 8 oz. bottles that are billed as more insulating, but are externally a bit bigger than the 10 oz. Right now I use this with a 10 oz. bottle of water and an 8 oz. bottle of Nuun. That's enough to get me through a half in reasonable weather.

The other belt is an Amphipod like this, only it has 4 bottles. The bottles are 10 oz., and don't have the weak seams problem the Nathon 10 oz. bottles have. However, instead of sliding into an elastic holder like the Natath, you squeeze the Amphipod bottles to clip them in. That works well in the summer, not so well in cool or cold water when the plastic isn't as flexible. In warm weather, I've worn this one with 3 bottles to train, 4 bottles for 20+ mile runs and my failed attempt at the Rochester Marathon. As with the Nathan belt, I can put water in one or two bottles and Nuun in one or two. That gives me electrolyte drink and water to chase gels while on the run.

I also have a belt that holds one 20 oz. bottle diagonally in the small of the back. That's great for balance and not noticing the water weight, not so hot for accessing the water at race pace. After attempting one race in that one and finding that I got tired enough to stop at an aid station rather than get the water bottle out of the belt, it got relegated to lawn mowing duty.

Bottom line, you just have to try things and see what works for you. Best case, you find a marketing event at a running store that lets you use a demo model and see how it works on the run.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp I was looking at the nathansport one, actually, I have a 10oz flask from that I used and works well, but need more water for those longer runs. Hard part for me is that pretty much all running stuff is internet order, since the closest running store is 60 miles away, and I don't get down there very often.

The amphipod one looks really good too. How hard was it to get used to squeezing the bottles to put them back? The 2 bottle looks like one I might like to try out for my training/marathon
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp I was looking at the nathansport one, actually, I have a 10oz flask from that I used and works well, but need more water for those longer runs. Hard part for me is that pretty much all running stuff is internet order, since the closest running store is 60 miles away, and I don't get down there very often.

The amphipod one looks really good too. How hard was it to get used to squeezing the bottles to put them back? The 2 bottle looks like one I might like to try out for my training/marathon

Putting the bottles back on the Amphipod belt takes some practice. It's fairly easy to get the wrong prongs into the holes from the bottle, and it took me several runs to figure out how to do that by feel. But the gripping hand is, you will have a lot of weather when it's just too cold to deal with the bottles needing to flex to come off the belt and go back on. That's not an issue with the way the Nathan belt works.

The attraction of the Amphipod belt for me was, a) 10 oz. bottles without the leaking problem that Nathan 10 oz. had; b) 4 bottles, when I knew 2 was not enough for a full marathon. The down side turned out to be, I don't really want to use the Amphipod system when it's below 40º F; but at temperatures that low, I can live with 10 oz. of water plus 8 oz. of Nuun.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The Amphipod belts are nice because several are fully modular, so you can remove all of the pouches and bottle holsters to reconfigure your belt or add/replace components. Most belts have the pouches and holsters stitched in place, so it is nearly impossible to add or replace components.

Before my first run using an amphipod belt I spent five minutes clipping the bottles in and out. I have also used it in single digit weather. The trick in cold weather is to slip your thumb between the bottle and clip. Sometimes with the new Xtech bottles I have to use my other hand to pull the clip open.

For most races I only carry a single bottle and refill it on the run, if needed. As I approach the aid station I open the bottle and hold the cap in my mouth. Then I grab a cup, pinch the top of the cup a little to form a funnel, dump it in the bottle, toss the cup and put the cap back on. Completely done within 20 feet.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I carried water on my first marathon, but then ended up not using it. The water tables were every two miles, which was enough, and I was alternating Gatorade and water. My next race had water every two miles for the first half, then every mile for the second half. Even better. I didn't bring any, and ended up needing it since it was a hot day on a shadeless course. I both overheated and got dehydrated. The race I'll be doing this Spring has water every 3 miles, so I think I'll bring water since if it's at all hot, or if I end up walking toward the end, I'm going to need something. I train with a 20 or 32 oz. bottle in a fanny pack, which usually works for me unless it's really hot and I need more.
  • MobyCarp
    Options

Very similar. My pouch looks different, with loops to hold gels; but the loops don't work very well. The bottles are modular, as was noted upthread.
  • Jeff_01022014
    Jeff_01022014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In road racing up to marathon I don't take hydration with me as the event will have regular drink stations.

In trail races greater than 10km I will take a backpack or handheld. The hydration backpacks slow you down and make you sweat more, so if I can avoid carrying I will.

My sweat rate is quite high at about 9 litres per marathon so I know I'm not going to still be fully hydrated at the end of any race.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @Jeff_01022014 you bring up a point that always has me debating buying a hydration belt. I'm pretty much a road runner (for now, next season might be different) So I'm always wondering if I actually need the extra water, since there's water/powerade every 2 miles at my marathon and actually every mile starting mile 19.