Diary Open Or Closed?

Options
tatianna68
tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
OK, before I start I am not judging or critizing anyone this is just a curiousity.

How do you decide whether to open or close your food diary?

As I was losing and learning my new lifestyle it helped so my friends could offer advice on what I was eating. Now that I am maintaining I leave it open so others can see how I eat and that I eat normal food not a bunch of diet, low fat, no calorie stuff.

What is your reason for opening or closing?

Replies

• ines1961
    ines1961 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary open because I like to get ideas on new recipes and other food ideas. I noticed by looking at others diaries we all tend to eat the same things over and over and it gets really boring. Also I have nothing to hide. I am looking towards my pals to help me along with this journey, or I would have never started this. I picked the friends that I thought would be the most supportive. And I did an awesome job with that.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Mine started out open so my personal trainer could spy on me.

Now it is open, because I feel its only fair if I'm checking out others, that they can check me out too. Plus the embarrassment factor, having to own up to what I'm choosing to do is huge for me, if I know other people are gonna see it, I'm not as likely to do it.
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Only my friends can see my diary, that is enough accountability for me. I don't like when you comment on the boards and sometimes random people start ripping on your diary. I just don't need that kind of feedback.
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I opened mine up to help my tolerance for vulnerability; my issues w/this are what I believe kept my weight on and derailed previous attempts to sustain a loss. I really don't like putting homemade cookies and ice cream on there, but that's what I ate.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Friends only and I am thinking of defriending some who don't open their diaries. I find diary sharing really useful and it definitely makes me more accountable!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends ... I will admit I have never read any one else's diary. No one has ever personally asked me why I ate what I did etc so it might as well be closed. BTW, if any of my friends who stalk my diary are reading this, I have to estimated 75% of what I eat due to eating out 75% of the time. Any one meal could be way off or way under. I compensate by not eating pasta, potatos rice or bread. I try to eat dense calorie foods like protein, avocados,etc.
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary open to the public. I feel that it helps keep me accountable. And I log every bite/sip of anything that goes into my mouth - good, bad, and ugly! My thoughts on an open diary - maybe my diary can inspire others to make better food choices, maybe someone has ideas where I can improve, etc.. and if I'm griping about a plateau or stall, I don't get upset if someone stalks my diary and points out that 47% of my calories were from fat for the past 3 weeks! :)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I opened mine because I want to be held accountable! I know a lot of my friends check to see what I eat each day, so I actually think about that when deciding what - or what not - to eat! It's a personal decision, so you shouldn't feel pressured. It really does help me make better choices.
  • tatianna68
    Options
    Thanks ladies for your responses, but I find it interesting only those with open dairies comment. I did not state before mine is open to friends only.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to anyone. I originally had it open only to friends, but I realized I am secure in the knowledge that I eat in the best way possible for myself. I don't fear criticism or questions about my food diary and I really don't care what anyone else thinks about how I eat. Nor do I spend time scrutinizing others' diaries. So I opened my diary up to anyone. I think it helps others who are sincerely looking for a solid, nutritious, healthy and sustainable way to eat; I would simply ignore rude, insensitive or cruel comments (if I ever received any, which I haven't).
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    Hi Lisa, I just read your profile, quite an inspiration.... How are you managing to stick at around 1400 per day permanently? I have to admit I love food and would find this quite difficult! Anyway, well done and I love your motivation... Babs
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, I just read your profile, quite an inspiration.... How are you managing to stick at around 1400 per day permanently? I have to admit I love food and would find this quite difficult! Anyway, well done and I love your motivation... Babs
    Thanks! I don't feel very inspirational most of the time; just plodding along trying not to get fat in my old age LOL! But I'm glad to hear I can inspire others.
    Babs, I love to eat, too, and I have always had a hearty appetite. I'm only 5'5" but no one has ever called me "petite." I'm just short and solid, even now at 134 lbs. I would like to get back to between 120-125 lbs, my best active weight which I haven't seen since my 30s. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably never see 115 again (active high school and 20s weight) but I can live with that now. I'm so grateful that I have found "Eat To Live" (ETL) and "Eat For Health" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. His lifestyle eating plan has done for me what Weight Watchers (my previously most successful program) couldn't do, which was provide me enough food to never go hungry while whittling away the excess fat I carried most of my life AND getting off all medication. His main focus in on superior nutrition rather than calorie counting, that weight management is only part of overall health. I've been eating this way for just over a year now; I'm a true believer. I can eat between 1300-1500 cals a day without going hungry. That's priceless to me.
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    That is great to hear! And you will definitely get there as you are so motivated and found something that works for you..
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed. I used to have it open to just friends then got tired of comments like "you need to drink more water." I closed the diary months ago and I'm glad to have done so. Ultimately the journey to good health and fitness is a very personal journey. Others can walk beside me, but exercising and eating right is still my responsibility.

Whether my diary is open or not, my body keeps a very accurate record of what I eat.

I'm a woman btw... I used my husband as my avatar.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary closed, because when I think people are looking / judging I fail. I have deleted someone that thought they should be able to see my diary. For the nosey nellys out there keep your eyes on your on plate!
  • cpharmon
    cpharmon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, I am who I am, I do what I do. Yes I want to be healthier and loose more weight, but I just don't care who looks. Its just food, and if I continue to make a big deal out of food then for me, that could be a bad thing...and if I think I'm hiding something, then I'm not really working on building a better life style.......so I'm letting it all hang out, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I try real hard for my diary to reflect my diet accurately, but admit I don't take the time to try to figure our exacts. Like I had La Fuentes chips and salsa, its not in MFP, so I put in what looked similar... its all about a way of thinking, a life style change for me, looking at what I eat, how much I eat, when I eat and taking walks & stretching (I can't traditionally exercise) .....I'm better today than when I began MFP and for me that's what its all about... a heart and mind change....we're all different and our journey's are different, that is a great thing.....
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary closed except to friends. Sometimes the calories are a guesstimate, sometimes I can't be bothered to fill it in. I know when my eating habits are bad, and that frustrates me enough without anyone else pointing it out

Having said that, I would think that unless you ask a question on one of the main boards no one would be that interested.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends only (I think). I don't generally check out diaries unless someone is having a hard time and has asked for help. I have been so busy that I tend to comment on movement and losses more so than eating habits. If someone asks for help though, it helps to see what and how much they have been eating. I believe in calories in/out. Deprivation is not in my vocabulary. I need to be able to eat for wherever and whatever situation I am in. I do understand that I tend to stay fuller if I eat "good" food, but sometimes life just doesn't offer those choices. I don't judge those who choose to keep it closed, but it is hard to help if they are having issues.
    All comments to friends should be supportive. That is what this site is for.
    Good luck to all on their journeys whether they be small goals or large.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    as far as i know anyone can see mine. let me know if that is not the case. and they can rip away on me if they want because i dont care lol .. i try to do my best but ALWAYS open to constructive critisism and suggestions.
  • tatianna68
    Options
    Everyone's answers are very interesting, the only thing I find an open dairy good for other than to see how others eat is to know if they eat healthy or not before I comment. I am not going to tell someone they are doing good when under calories if all they ate was junk food and I do not expect other to say that to me when I have had a not so healthy day.
    Thank you again for the responses:flowerforyou: