Fall 1/2?

Options
HMVOL7409
HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
This group needed some activity since it seems all the spring 1/2's are over. So whose training for a fall 1/2? I signed up to run my 3rd in October which happened to be the same race I ran last year for my first 1/2. Going with a totally different training plan this time around and aiming for 2:05-2:10 finish. I took 12 weeks off from running after my May race to focus on sprints and building my legs up through lifting and I miss it and can't wait to get back to it! So if you have a fall race you're training for, shout out here!

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have to start almost from scratch after back and toe injuries, but have kept very active and am looking forward to some long runs. My race is in September, and will be my second 1/2, although I did a 10-miler in May. Just got refitted for running shoes today, yay!

Good luck with the new training routine. Would love to hear about it.
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half!!! It will be my first!! I have been running so much this summer that I've actually had to scale back my running to match the training plan so I think I should be well prepared. I did the Tough Mountain Challenge last week which was a 5K, up a mountain, with obstacles! Definitely good times with some cross training built in! Now just working the training schedule and looking forward to October 12!!! I'm running at Baltimore Running Festival. Entering the 2:20 heat with a group of friends but hoping to finish around 2:00ish.
  • laurabeardsley
    laurabeardsley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half in October in Portland Oregon. I'm excited and nervous. I know it's going to be hard to sleep the night before! I am going to try not to go out too fast. I am a very slow runner. I always have been. I love to run, even if I get passed. I hope there is a pacer that will be close to my level. So, they are putting everyone in starting waves, and u get assigned to a corral. Does anyone know how that works? I would assume that I would be in with a variety of runners and paces if they are just assigning us a place. Running 8 on Sunday, and thru this week 3 other runs 4 miles or so.
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that you are corraled by your expected finishing time. I expect to run 10ish minute miles and so I signed up for the 2:20 heat/corral, just to give myself some wiggle room. It is very easy to start too fast if you are in with runners of a faster pace. Hope this helps!!! Best of luck to you!!! Keep us (me) updated! I run 8 next Saturday.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Good luck everyone!!

Regarding the corrals, yes they go based on the finish time you projected at registration. From my experience though, people are not respectful about this and start where they please. My only advice would be that if you feel you are a slower runner to keep to the back. My last 1/2 we had people that walked the start at first and were in the very first corral with people that run flipping fast. It's actually unsafe, rude yes, but people trying to get around others walking puts everyone at risk.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Good luck everyone!!

Regarding the corrals, yes they go based on the finish time you projected at registration. From my experience though, people are not respectful about this and start where they please. My only advice would be that if you feel you are a slower runner to keep to the back. My last 1/2 we had people that walked the start at first and were in the very first corral with people that run flipping fast. It's actually unsafe, rude yes, but people trying to get around others walking puts everyone at risk.

Agree! I'm toward the back and am fine with that. Not only unsafe, but demoralizing to keep getting passed!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    HI, just seen this group!

I am currently training for my first half marathon in October. Two weeks before that HM I have a 10k, so it will be all go for me that month! :happy:

I am very excited about it, I did my first 10k race last October, the town where I live, it is their 10k, so I won't have far to travel lol. It was a great day, so I just HAD to enter that race again this year!

The HM is a bit further afield, but we are staying overnight the night before and the night after the race, I also have the following week off work (annual leave) so it all fitted in rather nicely!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i'm thinking about signing up for my second half on november 17. finances will determine whether i sign up or not. no matter what race i do i always go to the back. i know i'm faster than some but slower than most so i would rather be in the back than up front causing all kinds of issues for the elites.