What's your exercise of choice?

Options
faux_scots_lass
faux_scots_lass Posts: 58 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
So as well as totally cleaning up my eating habits I've also been trying to add in some intentional exercise. I actually walk a fair bit during the week. I home educate my son and we're often out and about on trains (I don't drive!) and walking to and from places, exploring nature reserves etc. so I can routinely manage 10,000 steps or more.

I also quite enjoy basic aerobics - I just want simple moves though because I have two left feet.

The other thing I have been discovering a love for is Yoga. I've always avoided it because the moves just seemed to tricky for someone of my size, however youtube is really handy for finding yoga practice for the "plus size" person and I'm enjoying trying some of them out.

What type of exercise do you enjoy?

Replies

• thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    WALKING! I average between two to four miles a day, and I love it. Time to clear my head, listen to music or podcasts, fresh air, and on days when I'm a bottomless pit of hunger, it gives me some wiggle room calorie-wise.

I have intentions to join a gym and learn how to work out for real, but I'm not there yet. I've also always wanted to learn tai chi.
  • gazellefish
    gazellefish Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting! I'm impulsive and I like immediate results - there is something super gratifying about grabbing more and more weight. Can't beat the burn after, either. Slowly but surely doing that body recomp thing. Plus you'll burn more calories resting with more muscle!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    So far I've been focusing on diet. I'm too heavy to jog and hate walking :)

Adding regular exercise is on my 'to do' list for March. Either I'll join a gym or get my bicycle in riding shape.
  • Rangerharms
    Rangerharms Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm a believer in the elliptical machine. I broke down and bought one two years ago and just now started using it. (For two weeks now) It's a killer and I've called it lots of bad names, but it's fast and with three young kids, fast is good! I am up to 23 minutes 6 times a week on her. I also do 2 sets of 20 push ups and 4 sets of 25 side leg lifts every day.
  • Jirachii
    Jirachii Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've started weight training (although I'm a super noob and my form sucks right now.)

It's great because you can start it at any weight and not have to worry as much about hurting your joints. I would also do swimming for the same reason if I still lived in a place with access to a pool. Great low stress all around exercise.
  • LizJru
    LizJru Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of swimming too.
    I also use my cleaning routine to kick up my heart rate and get some sweat rolling. Don't know if 'exercise' is quite right but it feels good. At my weight, it's rather like weight lifting cardio. :blush:
  • ChrisC2013
    ChrisC2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't started an exercise routine to my journey yet but in the past I found that varying what I did kept me interested. I started walking first and then did the couch to 5k program and started jogging. Then I moved to videos and classes. I even did a belly dancing class which was uber fun for me. I think this time I'd like to try yoga and tai chi.
  • Theo166
    Options
    Yesterday I installed the 'couch to 5k' app on my phone,
    I'm committing to starting this walk/jog program.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    my exercise of choice is yard work or house work :)

And I had to have gotten a good workout from what I did yesterday! Cut brush, loaded it into my truck, then unloaded it on my brushpile - 2 trips. I then loaded by hand 20 buckets of gravel, carried them up the hill, and dumped them and spread them in the muddy ruts I had coming down alongside my house where I've been parking my car.
  • faux_scots_lass
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

Awesome! My friend just completed Couch to 5K and loved it. I'd like to try it sometime in the future. Good luck and have fun with it!
  • faux_scots_lass
    Options
    ChrisC2013 wrote: »
    I haven't started an exercise routine to my journey yet but in the past I found that varying what I did kept me interested. I started walking first and then did the couch to 5k program and started jogging. Then I moved to videos and classes. I even did a belly dancing class which was uber fun for me. I think this time I'd like to try yoga and tai chi.

I'm really enjoying trying out Yoga :)
  • Theo166
    Options

Awesome! My friend just completed Couch to 5K and loved it. I'd like to try it sometime in the future. Good luck and have fun with it!

It felt good to get started today but I'm a little concerned about my knees, jogging with 100lbs of extra weight. I may switch to my bike or try to alternate.

Anyone else here using 'body weight exercises'?
  • Mgaide1776
    Mgaide1776 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love doing the elliptical at the gym. I was able to get 6 miles done in 1:05 (my fastest time yet). SW 310.6, CW 294.4, GW 200
  • gazellefish
    gazellefish Posts: 72 Member
    Options

It felt good to get started today but I'm a little concerned about my knees, jogging with 100lbs of extra weight. I may switch to my bike or try to alternate.

Anyone else here using 'body weight exercises'?

Yeah! Sometimes if I can't make it to the gym I'll do core/body-weight exercises at home. Tricep dips, Bodyweight Squats/Lunges, etc. Push-ups, planks, jack-knife sit-ups, mountain climbers, the list goes on and on.

If you go to a gym and they have TRX straps you should give them a try - they're amazing at working on form and flexibility, and most rely on your bodyweight.
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I enjoy jogging (until I'm able to run) on the treadmill, the elliptical, and light weight lifting
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a mixture of mostly Beachbody stuff right now, until it starts getting warmer out and I'll start jogging again.
    I love doing weights, I used to workout with a personal trainer but I'm just not financially able to right now. :(
  • Jedi1989
    Jedi1989 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    At home I like to dance like a crazy person, either while cleaning the house or playing Just Dance on my PS4 - as long as nobody can see me, haha!

At the gym, I enjoy the elliptical and the weights. Hoping to add some more free weights to my routine in the near future, for now it's mostly machines.
  • Theo166
    Options
    So I tried one day of C25K but my joints were hurting the next day, and not in a good way. I was an athlete when young and have a tendency to push myself when exercising, maybe more than I'm ready for.

I've switched to just walking 1-2 miles daily as a start. It's not really getting my heart rate up, but my calves are getting in shape. It also gives me ~200 extra calories so it's easy to come in under my daily goal.
  • faux_scots_lass
    Options
    So I tried one day of C25K but my joints were hurting the next day, and not in a good way. I was an athlete when young and have a tendency to push myself when exercising, maybe more than I'm ready for.

I've switched to just walking 1-2 miles daily as a start. It's not really getting my heart rate up, but my calves are getting in shape. It also gives me ~200 extra calories so it's easy to come in under my daily goal.

I have to say I do love walking although I'd like to take up running when I'm lighter. My Dad is a hillwalker and he's also done several long distance walks - last one was the West Highland Way in Scotland which is just under 100 miles (at 67 years of age). It's kept him super fit.
  • Chelsi1028
    Chelsi1028 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My favorite is walks pushing my kids in the double stroller. I'll do between 2-4 miles around town with them. In the winter when it's basically an average of 0° out I use a old gazelle my parents don't use any more. I'm not a huge fan and I'd love an elliptical but it's not exactly in our families budget.