Too late to sync MapmyXXX?

Options
SezxyStef
SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
I have a couple fitness trackers and recently decided it was time to go to Fitbit as a permanent solution.

I have been using my zip for about a month trying to get used to the app etc before I invest in a Charge HR and because of this I have kept my other activity band active in MFP and mapmyfitness.

I logged my workouts on MapMyFitness and it sync'd in to my other band but I would log my workouts manually on the fitbit...

Now that I am getting ready to go strictly fitbit and I thought I might as well sync mapmyfitness with it...mapmyfitness has indicated it will sync the last 30 days...eek.

Does that mean my workouts will be doubled???

wondering if I should just continue to log them manually and let Fitbit do it's thing...???

either way I will use MMF as I like it...unless the Fitbit app for the charge is awesome and will take over for it.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There is a start and duration time to workouts that sync to Fitbit.
    If the workout carries steps and calories with the data - it replaces what Fitbit came up with for that block of time.

No double counting unless your time-zones are off - then you might be adding calories to the hour prior to a workout, and Fitbit's hour workout is still there too.

But otherwise - no problem.

Except - replacing old data.

At some point Fitbit doesn't keep the individual data points through the whole day, but just the totals. Perhaps they have moved to hourly totals or similar though since I last investigated.
    Perhaps they really threw caution to the wind and really bought more space to store all the raw data.

You can test this by going do a manual workout log for a day 30 days in the past.
    Note the stats across the board prior - steps, distance, calories.
    Make your workout running so there are steps calculated on your distance input, input your own calories too.
    See if the daily total increases.
    Should NOT be merely adding your figures - your figures should have replaced what was there - so the additional won't be a total add-on, merely an increase of some amount.

If it's a total add-on of your figures - it won't work, they replaced the raw data with totals and can't figure out a replacement for an incoming workout - which is the same you manually entering or syncing in.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it added to my totals from 1 month ago....

Steps were 17428 now 22517
    Miles were 8.24 now 11.24
    Calories were 2495 now 2795

so I guess I will leave as is for now..when I get my new Charge I will see what happens then...that should be soon...thx for the help
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You got me curious to start testing how far back they go.

With so many more devices sold - either they've made enough money to buy more storage, or not so they cut it.

I believe it was 2 wks out last time I checked. Modify something (or add) within 2 weeks and it replaced because it could.
    Longer than 2 wks it could not replace, so it just added.

So if you really looked at historical data - screwed up.

3 miles and 300 calories, huh - someone knows the average.