Starting today

Options
tjones0411
tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
I've been lifting without a formalized program for about a year. My husband and I just purchased a squat rack, weights and bench and plan on starting Strong Lifts tonight (3 days a week). My question is my routine the other days of the week. On those days, I take a 45 min spin class followed by a 30 min GRIT class (HIIT). Will this routine impact my SL days? I guess the only way of finding out is to give it a try and see how I feel. The week ends up looking like this:

M - basic cardio, SL
T - Spin and GRIT
W - basic cardio, SL
Th - Spin and GRIT
F - Yoga and SL
Sat - off (or spin, if time and energy are there)
Sun - off

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The program recommends resting in between SL so your muscles can have time to rebuild. It also recommends that if you're going to do cardio, that you do it after your SL session, so that way your muscles are the most fresh for the lifts.

But as for what you want to do... that's up to you.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The program recommends resting in between SL so your muscles can have time to rebuild. It also recommends that if you're going to do cardio, that you do it after your SL session, so that way your muscles are the most fresh for the lifts.

But as for what you want to do... that's up to you.

Thanks - I actually do my lifts first already and cardio 2nd, I didn't mean to imply an order there...not sure why I typed it the other way around. My bigger question was regarding the non-SL days.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you are coming to your lifting days with energy and strength (vs. feeling wrung out and weak), do what you like. :) But if your lifting (if it's your priority!) is suffering, you might want to consider cutting back on your other activities.

My other advice would be to make sure you're eating enough. You didn't mention what you're doing for fuel, so I might be very off base... I would just hate to see you trying to do all of that while eating at 1200 calories or so. :)