Starting weight makes it unrealistic to add?

Options
AbbeyDove
AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
Hi all,

I just started SL today. Here's the thing. I can bench and deadlift the 45lb empty bar, and I can OHP and squat using a lighter 25 lb empty bar. But I know we're supposed to add 5 lbs every workout. That would put me at 50 and 30 respectively on Wednesday. I am quite certain I will not be able to do 5 sets of 5 at the higher weight. I'm JUST (barely!) able to do 5 sets of 5 the weights I started at. What would you recommend? I feel like I'm just learning form, so my inclination is not to add weight, but maybe that's wimping out? Did everyone always add weight each session if all sets were complete?

(And, sigh, I'm not getting the best vibe from the dudes in the gym . . . I was working WITH a TRAINER--my one session for form--and this guy kept demanding to know when we'd be off the squat rack, then saying "I'm not rushing you." Well hell yes, you are, as a matter of fact, and pretending you're not doesn't change that.)

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Increase the weight when you can complete the workout with good form--you can do it on your own time, not necessarily by the book. You might be surprised how fast strength increases at the beginning!

As for the aggro dude at the gym: the next time someone gives you a hard time, ask them if they would like to "work in". That is gym speak for taking turns on a piece of equipment--he works out while you rest, and vice versa. You have to swap weights out, but it still saves time. You pay for a gym membership just like he does, and there are no "male" or "female" areas of the gym.
  • AbbeyDove
    Options
    Thanks! I'll do the "working in" thing next time. I want to be polite, myself!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the principle of stronglifts is to start with weights light enough that you can work on form with a weight that feels reasonably light. If you start too heavy, you won't get the benefits of it. If 45lb bar is possible, but really heavy for you, then you probably should start with a lighter bar, so you can focus on form properly. Then when your form is good, you start adding weights to the bar, and work your way up. It really doesn't matter if you start lighter than the weights stated in the programme... what's important is that you start with weights light enough that you can work on form properly, then build up gradually, so your muscles increase in strength to keep up. A lot of women start with weights lighter than suggested in the programme, especially for the upper body lifts.

Also, going up in 2.5lb increments is another suggestion, because what's important is the steady weight increase so you can build up strength. It doesn't have to be 5lb a week. I'm doing that for all the upper body lifts.
  • AbbeyDove
    Options
    Hmm. That's an interesting point about lighter weights and working on form. I might have to drop to dumbbells, but that seems like a good point.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    You know what? I'd like to see for myself how these guys react to you in real life. Usually when I'm at the gym everyone is real nice and offers to let you work in and what not.

I usually just ask, "hey, man how many sets do you have left?" and they tell me. So then I'll work out when they're done.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You know what? I'd like to see for myself how these guys react to you in real life. Usually when I'm at the gym everyone is real nice and offers to let you work in and what not.

I usually just ask, "hey, man how many sets do you have left?" and they tell me. So then I'll work out when they're done.

I agree that some of the hostility women report in the weight area must be imaginary. At my gym, people are invariably polite, both men and women--and I live in NYC, for cryin' out loud. I have had some weird interactions with men at the other gym I used to go to, though. I had one histrionic gentleman shriek at me for waiting for him to finish with the barbell. Though I suspect that most of unpleasantness involves men patronizing women rather than being aggressive towards them. (I actually find patronizing behavior more annoying than aggression--the latter obviously stems from fear, whereas the former is more pernicious.) Anyway, you might not know what that feels like since you're a guy.