Garmin Index Scale

Options
silverbullet07
silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
Just purchased the Garmin Index scale so that it works better together with Garmin Connect. I had been using the Tanita BC-1000plus but I had to pull out my old Forerunner 610 to capture the recordings so that it will upload to connect. What a pain. My new Fenix 3 HR is not compatible with the Tanita BC-1000plus and will not capture the readings.

One thing I notice is that the Tanita BC-1000plus reading of Skeletal Muscle Mass is a lot different the Garmins reading. With the Tanita BC-1000plus reading, may Muscle Mass is 155 lbs where the Garmin Index reading is 85.7 lbs which is a huge difference.

I went out to try to understand why it may be different and this is what their definition of Skeletal muscle mass is:

The Garmin Index Smart Scale will measure and record skeletal muscle mass. Skeletal muscles are made up of voluntary muscles that contract upon command from conscious thought. Skeletal muscle mass does not include cardiac or smooth muscle, which contract without conscious thought. Some examples of muscles that do not get measured by the scale include: the heart, arteries, veins, and intestines.

Tanita - Muscle mass includes the skeletal muscles, smooth muscles such as cardiac and digestive muscles and the water contained in these muscles.

So It looks like Tanita includes cardiac and digestive muscles and the water contained in these muscles where Garmin states it does not include cardiac or smooth muscle, which contract without conscious thought.

So this my be why the difference but does this contribute to a 70lb difference?