How do you log your WOD?

Options
Crossfit doesn't come up as a list of exercises, so how do you log your WODs? And how do you know the calorie burn? We did 'Annie' this morning with another 10 min press up WOD, I counted it as calisthenics but sometimes I just count it as circuits. Am I missing a trick? Thanks.

Replies

• wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I created my own exercise called CrossFit that I use to log my WODs. I generally wear my HRM so I know my burn (which can range from 300-600+ depending on the warmup & WOD) but now I eat based off of my TDEE (Total Daily Estimated Expenditure) so I only log 1 calorie per workout.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I created my own exercise called CrossFit that I use to log my WODs. I generally wear my HRM so I know my burn (which can range from 300-600+ depending on the warmup & WOD) but now I eat based off of my TDEE (Total Daily Estimated Expenditure) so I only log 1 calorie per workout.

I do the same, minus the HRM! I just eat my TDEE minus 10% and log my exercise so I know which days I did it.
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    Ok, cool, thank you both. So have you been losing since you started eating to your TDEE minus 10% & crossfitting? I guess if I am eating to my TDEE minus 20% that includes my workouts so I shouldn't 'eat back' any calories just stick with that number?
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I don't lose scale weight when I exercise, but I'm losing inches! I'll take it. :)

ETA: Right, if your exercise level is accurate with your TDEE calculations, you don't eat back your exercise calories UNLESS your exercise calories would put you under your BMR.
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    If you Google it, there's websites where you can figure out approximately how many calories you burned during your WOD using your weight, height and times. I use the same calculations and increase/decrease the time for each WOD. I know the calories burned is probably inflated so I try not to eat my calories back. If you want to get a more accurate count of calories burned, a heart rate monitor is definitely the way to go!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I just guestimate. I trust the calculation for running (if I run an hour I burn x calories) and I know during my CF classes if I've worked harder or not and go from there. My baseline for CF is 800 calories per hour, but I'm a big guy so I wouldn't use that number for you.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    For actually logging your WOD as in tracking your progress... i use 'myWOD' available for both Android and iOS

For logging my burn on MFP? Well I have a Bodymedia FIT armband that syncs up with MFP. So the armband logs my calories burned and MFP syncs back my food intake with Bodymedia.

If you are trying to do it manually then the easiest way is to get a high quality Heart Rate Monitor and strap it to your chest every day. Use the caloric burn it gives you. Keep in mind it's not very accurate for tracking weight lifting calories.

I'd go with some kind of armband like the BM FIT LINK. Just wear it and forget it.

My 2¢
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have been using "circuit training" as the exercise when I log my calories burned during CrossFit. I think that no matter what you use when you log, as long as you are consistent with your choices you will see a positive result.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I need to get a BodyMedia. I fell like I'm not really losing weight like I should be. I'm definitely gaining strength so I'm not that concerned, but I'm gonna cut back calories about 200 per day and see what my energy/hunger levels feel like.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I need to get a BodyMedia. I fell like I'm not really losing weight like I should be. I'm definitely gaining strength so I'm not that concerned, but I'm gonna cut back calories about 200 per day and see what my energy/hunger levels feel like.

there is someone in the primal/paleo board that is selling her BodyMedia Fitlink.