GD Intro

Options
kimika23
kimika23 Posts: 59 Member
Hi there! I noticed we have quite a small little group here :smile: So I'll just introduce myself. I'm Edie, 34y/o from Louisville, KY. I am 34 weeks and 3 days pregnant with a rainbow sugar baby! Fourth pregnancy, but hopefully first baby. I got diagnosed with GD at 26 weeks and it's been a tough couple of months. I take 15 units of insulin via Levemir pen at night daily for my fasting numbers, but "control" my daytime meal numbers with diet and exercise. It's been a completely frustrating and confusing process...but I know in the end it will all be worth it! :smiley:

Replies

• rlsrlg2013
    rlsrlg2013 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm Robin, 35 from Canada. I'm 31 weeks pregnant and was just diagnosed with GD. My test was done in hospital after I was admitted for possible premature labour. They gave me two steroid shots to speed up baby's lung development, but I've since learned those shots can spike your glucose levels. So, I have one week to monitor my blood sugars. Then it will be decided if I actually need insulin/strict diet (I am not allowed to exercise) or if I can manage without and assume the test was skewed by the steroids.
    I've become obsessed about food now. I have to think about it all the time which makes me want to eat. I didn't have this problem before!
    I'm following a GD diet for the most part... my problem right now is that managing my diet to limit carbs means by the end of the day, I don't have enough calories overall, so I end up having to eat a whole avocado (lots of calories/fat, low carb).
    I haven't had to modify much of what I eat, to be honest; we've always eaten fairly healthfully. So, it comes down to portion control I guess!
    I heard eating a high protein snack right before bed could possibly help high fasting numbers. I know it's not uncommon to have a hard time with blood sugars rising overnight.
    Anyway, I hope you're winning the "fight" and baby stays happy and healthy!
  • LauraSummerlin1
    LauraSummerlin1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

My name is Laura, I'm 25 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I'm in my early 40's and this little one is a complete surprise, but a welcome one. I was so glad to see you ladies had posted / started this group - I'm really hoping we can help one another with recipes and advice.

Edie - please forgive my ignorance. What is a rainbow sugar baby?

Robin - I hadn't heard that about a high protein snack in the evening helping with your fasting sugar, and that's the one I'm struggling with. Thanks for the tip - I'll try it!

• Holland1104
    Holland1104 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! My name is Holland, I am 40 years old and 16 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I was tested very early for Gestational Diabetes as I am "fluffy" and have PCOS which really messes with my bodies ability to regulate my insulin production. Being pregnant is the most amazing blessing ever! Since taking the glucose tolerance test and discovering I did have the GD I have lost 10 lbs due to my change in diet and moderate exercise. My levels have been normal, slightly elevated fasting sugars but the evening high protein snack trick has worked for the most part. I am hoping that I can control my sugar levels this way for the rest of my pregnancy. I count the GD as a blessing in disguise as I am 99% positive that if I wasn't required to monitor what I was eating I would be enjoying my pregnancy cravings to no end.
    I look forward to sharing tips with all of you and also it is great knowing that there are others going through the same nerve wracking situations as me. Nice to meet you all!
  • kimika23
    kimika23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Sorry I missed all these replies. I had my little girl back in April and I've been busy
    Edie - please forgive my ignorance. What is a rainbow sugar baby?

Laura - to answer your question, a rainbow baby is a nickname for a baby conceived/born after a pregnancy loss. Kind of the "after the storm" hope. And a sugar baby is a nickname for a gestational diabetes baby :smile:. Someone in one of my Facebook groups once called their rainbow sugar baby a little Skittle. I thought that was too cute <3

So can we do another check-in? Has anyone else had their baby? I'm attaching my girl's 4-month photo hopefully as encouragement to anyone still expecting. All the finger pokes and insulin shots are worth it!

And another silver lining... I'm now 25 pounds lighter than I was prior to getting pregnant! Yet another blessing in disguise of GD.

kyf67wn4ixlu.jpg
  • huestise
    huestise Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Elizabeth (Beth), I am 41 years old, and I have GD for the second time (just diagnosed last week). I was just barely above normal BMI pre-pregnancy. My doctor says my GD is due to my age. GD is all still very confusing to me and I am trying to get support from others who have experienced GD this time around, instead of going it alone like last time.

I managed to mostly keep my sugars in check with diet last time, needing only a tiny daily pill to help my fasting numbers toward the end (and he was born 3 weeks 1 day early). But I was always super stressed about what to eat and not, and food became a source of anxiety to me during that pregnancy and I didnt gain any weight during pregnancy after being diagnosed with GD, and by my 6 week postpartum checkup I was at least 10 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight. My youngest son, now 2 1/3 years old, is still tiny, well below the CDC growth chart and only barely on the WHO growth chart (1%). While his doctor says he is making his own line and doesn't seem concerned, I worry that it is at least partly due to how I managed my GD last time (my older two sons were always middle or high on the CDC growth chart). I want to give this little girl (my first daughter) her best shot, so am trying to get help, both from my doctor and nutritionist, and from others who have experience living with GD.