Calories

Options
mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
Can anyone share what your calorie goal is per day? If you use a Fitbit are you eating back any of those calories you burn? (Normal activity, not exercise.)

Replies

• Jirachii
    Jirachii Posts: 152 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm currently at ~1450 max per day, but lately I've been ending up around 1,000 naturally since I eat two meals and don't snack. (I prefer big meals over small ones, so I only eat twice.) Those extra calories I just kind of use as leverage for dinner in case it's more than ~500-700 per serving.

I don't have a Fitbit, but I do make an effort to exercise via taking long routes by foot and whatnot. I've only been able to weight train once in the last three weeks (rip progress) due to school and my friend not being available, but I don't feel like I work enough off to justify eating them back via an extra helping of something. I just kind of also use them for leverage on dinner.

The reason I keep things to leverage is because I'm a 19 year old college freshman and not financially independent. I still eat dinner with the family, and half of the time it's not healthy food. That's how I ended up here in the first place haha. That, and since we don't always follow a recipe, a lot of guess work is involved. I prefer to over estimate. Were I able to 100% plan all of my meals, I would probably eat up to at least 1300 a day to hit my macro goals.

Edit: I should probably mention my weight with regards to how much I'm eating. My last weigh in had me at 216.5 pounds. I plan to adjust my intake every 10 pounds, so if you weigh more of course you can eat more, and if you weigh less vice versa. Some actually helpful information: my TDEE is about 2050 or so, which has me at about a 600 calorie deficit per day minimum. I'm seeing some pretty great results so far :smile:
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal right now is 1650. I have MFP set to 2 lbs to week and I update my calorie goal every time I hit a new low weight. I do it that way because I find a reduction of 10 calories every few days is easier than a bigger reduction all at once less frequently.

I don't track calorie expenditure from normal activity, only my on-purpose exercise. I am willing to eat into my exercise calories but try not to eat them all back.
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is quite low compare to a lot people I have seen lately ... its only 1220 cals and that is to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I try not to eat back the exercise calories, but sometimes I do if I am hungry and maybe once a week I go over.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is around 2050 a day. I set it to lose 2 lbs a week and put myself as sedentary because I decided to quit going to the gym for a while. Hope it helps!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    In Jan I started by targeting 2k/day and dialed it down twice.
    My current calorie goal is 1600-1700 per day.

My stretch target is 1% loss weekly, the upper limit per my reading.
    I'm actually losing about 0.8% weekly, I'm pretty happy with that.
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 calories per day and find it very comfortable reaching it or a little under each day. This is for a goal of 2lbs per week. so far, so good. I am still having trouble figuring out how to get in my macros evenly each day. I have just started an exercise plan, so I've yet to see if I will need to eat those expended calories back.
  • anna4anna
    anna4anna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1200. I am generally more focused on meeting my macro goals though since with PCOS, managing insulin response is a lot more significant for me.
  • Ayane101
    Ayane101 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of 1600 per day. I frequently go over that but not by a lot. My goal is to get it down a bit in the next month or two.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1500 per day. I try to think of it as a range from 1400 to 1600, BUT it bugs me to see my numbers in the red. So I mostly settle for 1500. My resting rate 1900 to 2000, 1500 gives me a decent deficit while not feeling like I have to worry about every calorie. I am of the mindset that this is for life, so I want to eat in a sustainable way for me.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1650 right now. That's about 150 to 200 less than what most calorie intake calculators tell me I should be eating, but I've found that the calculated values aren't accurate to my body-makeup and chemistry, and that if I drop about 100 lbs beneath their minimum, I succeed in steady weight loss. Plus, if I have a day where I'm not 100% accurate in tracking or eat over a bit, I know it's not going to hurt.

I was trying to meet my macros, but found it to just not work for me - when I tried to get enough protein in, I was consistently going over my calorie goal - protein sources are unfortunately also high calorie sources! So I'm moving instead to focusing on eating lots of vegetables, some fruits, get some lean meat and dairy in to try to at least get decently close to my protein goal, and to strictly limit sweets to once in a while as a treat.
  • Theo166
    Options
    I'm at 1650 right now. That's about 150 to 200 less than what most calorie intake calculators tell me I should be eating, but I've found that the calculated values aren't accurate to my body-makeup and chemistry, and that if I drop about 100 lbs beneath their minimum, I succeed in steady weight loss. Plus, if I have a day where I'm not 100% accurate in tracking or eat over a bit, I know it's not going to hurt.

I was trying to meet my macros, but found it to just not work for me - when I tried to get enough protein in, I was consistently going over my calorie goal - protein sources are unfortunately also high calorie sources! So I'm moving instead to focusing on eating lots of vegetables, some fruits, get some lean meat and dairy in to try to at least get decently close to my protein goal, and to strictly limit sweets to once in a while as a treat.

Same with me, instead of focusing on specific macros I try to eat healthy and be full. Veggies are way up for the bulk. I find I eat lots of cheese as snack food, especially string cheese.
  • omgstfualready
    omgstfualready Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1250 but I set myself at 1500, though I know I'm okay if I'm at 1700. I also put in 0 exercise which explains the MFP. I'm still trying to get moving on that (haha) but don't plan on eating back my calories until I start lifting weights again.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used the sum of 3 different macro/calorie calculators...Scooby http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ IIFYM https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and Calorie King http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/ .
    I added up all three of the results then divided by three to get my calorie count. My food diary is public so you are welcome to add me and look it over. I am really honest. If I eat it, then its on the diary...sometimes it isn't pretty, but being honest with what you are really consuming is the key to moving forward on your goals. Also you don't want to strip your calories down more than 500-1000 calories less than what you ate to get where you are. As you lose 5-10lbs you will want to do the calculations again, and you need somewhere to go. If you have already cut your calories down too low you have no calories to cut out when your weight loss stalls.
    Right now I have to eat 2500 calories a day to maintain my current weight. So I've cut that down to 1789. The only time I feel ok eating more than that is when I go to the gym or workout, but that is because right after I workout I do have to eat something (usually a protein bar).
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Ok, update: I started going back to the gym. I'm a lap swimmer, and MFP says that 30 mins of side stroke for me would be in the 650 to 700 cal range. I don't want to do anything wrong because I have been having success pre workout, so I am trying to eat back 200 cal or so. That leaves room of 200 or so deficit and a passing because I think the mfp estimate is too high.
  • vvJessicavv
    vvJessicavv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal right now is 1650. I have MFP set to 2 lbs to week and I update my calorie goal every time I hit a new low weight. I do it that way because I find a reduction of 10 calories every few days is easier than a bigger reduction all at once less frequently.

I don't track calorie expenditure from normal activity, only my on-purpose exercise. I am willing to eat into my exercise calories but try not to eat them all back.

Hey how do you update the calorie goal, with weigh in a? This is something I want to be doing
  • Theo166
    Options

Hey how do you update the calorie goal, with weigh in a? This is something I want to be doing

Your goal doesn't need to change with each weigh-in. But if you think your targets are out of wack, just work through the guided set-up again.

I've done it a few times. I noticed it lowers my target when using a new lower start weight.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Go to "Update diet/fitness profile" from the Settings menu, and click the "Update profile" button. It will create a new calorie goal for you. You don't even have to change anything; it automatically populates with your most recent weight.
  • MissSass2
    MissSass2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    theowlbox wrote: »
    Ok, update: I started going back to the gym. I'm a lap swimmer, and MFP says that 30 mins of side stroke for me would be in the 650 to 700 cal range. I don't want to do anything wrong because I have been having success pre workout, so I am trying to eat back 200 cal or so. That leaves room of 200 or so deficit and a passing because I think the mfp estimate is too high.

I'm a lap swimmer to and I do think the calories are a bit high on the swimming. I've been picking the leisure swimming as it's lower in calories burned. I eat back maybe half the calories.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! MFP had my goal at 1760 (technically I should be able to lose as high as 2200) but I wasn't losing. Now I'm aiming to get 1200-1400 this week to see how that works.