Introduction, and help needed

Options
I am 33 and have known for a few years that I have had PCOS. However, I'm not dealing with it well. I keep gaining weight as a result and am now at my highest weight. I am supposed to be taking Metformin but it just makes me SO sick and causes terrible headaches and nausea . I have decided that I want to change to "clean eating" but, I'm trying to ease into this transition. I know part of my problem is that I don't drink enough water, and probably don't drink enough of anything in general. What diet works best for PCOS?

I finally have found a doctor that seems to be able/willing to work with the PCOS which is definitely causing infertility in my case. I feel like I'm going to end up being too old to get pregnant. I get depressed because I can't get pregnant, then I eat because I get depressed, then I gain weight because I eat.....then I get depressed because I gained weight....etc. It's a never ending cycle that is only getting worse for me. Now I have constant body aches and lack of energy and I'm just miserable, my body hurts so bad in the mornings I can hardly move. I know I am rambling. But if anyone out there reads this and has any advice for a good way to get out of this slump I am in, please let me know.

Replies

• boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Are you on the extended release (ER) metformin? If you can get your doctor to prescribe you that, it will help a great deal. I had to "fail" at the non-ER met before my gyno could prescribe me the ER. "Failing" at the non-ER was the most unpleasant experiences I've ever had and she finally told me to get off of it when I spent three nights having the worst stomach cramps in my life. After that, I got on the ER and it's been pretty fine ever since. I would suggest asking for that if it's availible to you.
    As for diet, go low carb if you can. I try to get under 100g of carbs a day and when I do eat them, I match them with protein. For every 2 carbs I eat, I try to eat 1 protein. If I want pasta, I also make either a sausage or piece of fish - something to match. That also has helped with my cravings.
    I wish I could give you advice on the emotional eating. I've slowed down a lot on mine over the years but it was a battle - I won't lie about that. I don't keep certain foods in the house or I keep the healthier alternative. Instead of ice cream, I make a greek yogurt that has protein powder in it. I get the creamy goodness but with a protein kick to it. Instead of chips, I keep either pecan thin crackers or sweet potato/beet chips.
    Good luck. Feel free to friend me if you like. :)
  • sashafaith80
    Options
    No, I haven't tried the ER metformin. I will have to ask about that. Dr. has been trying to get my insurance to approve the Victoza shot but that is not looking good so far. She has recommended that simply for the weight loss I believe. But as an alternative to the metformin. Unfortunately that hasn't worked out yet so I will ask about the ER. Thank you!
  • katiewinterringer
    Options
    I have PCOS and was on Metformin as well for nearly a year. I found the key to it is to ease into your dosage over a few months (I was still extremely nauseous), then I switched to the extended release, but I found that if I didn't take it properly each and everyday I had some awful side effects. I also found that certain foods reacted badly with my body on the metformin. Things like Cheerios. I hated having to take metformin everyday, however it was the one thing that helped me to get pregnant, and taking progesterone supplements to stay pregnant. After figuring all of that out and having two miscarriages, I was finally able to have my daughter this past June. In the end I dread having to do Metformin again when my husband and I want to have another child, but it is a temporary struggle for an amazing outcome.

Good luck on your journey.
  • redhatorade
    redhatorade Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Definitely try Metformin ER. I am on 1000 and have little to no issues whatsoever with being sick unless I eat something I am not supposed to. Talk to your doctor as well about some sort of anti-depressant, I am on Effexor and it is helping me tremendously with my depression.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I had the same reactions with the extended release of Metformin. Since I'm also insulin resistant, my endocrinologist recommended a low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet. Instead of pairing carbs with protein (which converts back to glucose when eaten in excess), try pairing your carbs with fats - it changes how your body processes the carbs.

Check out this post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1142770/supplements#latest for additional information.

I've had better luck lowering my fasting insulin levels on a low carb diet (I dropped grains, sugars, etc., but I still eat tons of veggies and normal food) than I ever did on Metformin, and without the side effects.

Talk therapy and/or antidepressants really should help with you processing the hell of infertility...

Another group some of us are in that's far more active than this one is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

Good luck.

(And yes, most carbs cause violent reactions with Metformin - lowering them helps some, but dairy was also a violent trigger for my side effects, too.)