A carrot a day keeps the dr away (and your hormones balanced)

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
Bottom line for the busy: there is a unique soluble fiber in raw carrots that absorbs excess estrogen in your system and stops estrogen dominance.
Rx: 1-2 medium raw carrots (not baby) per day

My dr has been on me for years about being estrogen dominant, but I was reluctant to take hormone therapy. I scoured the internet and found this ridiculous-sounding idea. I am usually quite picky about cross referencing studies before I try a new therapy, but it seemed so simple and harmless. Got my blood work back this week, and my estrogen/progesterone ratio is perfect! I'm a bit in shock and thought I'd share in case anyone else might benefit:

http://www.genexweightloss.com/carrots-reduce-estrogen-dominance/

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Thank you!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into resistant and other starch forms, so I'll have to go read up on this! Thanks.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    So, I'm wondering how this translates into addressing beer belly in men? It's known to be caused by excess estrogen. What are the chances that raw carrots could cure beer belly? Just a side thought tangent!

Also, they didn't specify whether organic is important, because I would imagine with organic carrots, you could eat the peel, if you so choose...but I guess we shouldn't, due to the immunoresponses caused by lipopolysaccharides... Does that mean we should peel carrots we put in stock? Or does the heat kill those toxic substances??
  • stacicali
    Options
    I do think the estrogen-fighting effects of carrots could cure beer belly (and man boobs <giggle>). When I was attempting to cross check, I ran into other articles that stated that you could peel the carrot if you want but just eat it right away. I personally do organic, but that's more of a personal choice. Carrots aren't one of the expensive organic foods, thank goodness. Cooking the carrots alters the effect sadly, so only raw will do for lowering estrogen.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with raw carrots, luckily. I don't have a problem eating the peels if they're organic, either. And I agree, I was considering organic due to the low cost of it in this particular item. I wonder if it would soak up and eliminate the excess estrogen from my BCP, which is synthetic, or just the excess natural stuff? I know they affect the body in two completely different ways!

P.S. Yay for the end of man boobs!
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @stacicali How long had you been eating carrots before having your bloodwork checked? Did you notice any physical or mental changes?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yeah, I just realized I hadn't asked that question - at what point did you start actually feeling better? I don't care as much about lab results as actionable results! @stacicali
  • stacicali
    Options
    I started eating carrots about a month before the blood work. According to the doctor who first noticed, patients would see estrogen-lowering effects in as little as 3 days. It hasn't been an enormous difference for me, but I have noticed significantly less mood issues, acne, PMS, cramps, and lighter period. Having your estrogen in balance also lowers certain cancer risks.

Also, it's a myth that carrots are a high glycemic food - they are actually low. So unless you're going to eat 5 cups of carrots a day (not recommended), you don't have to worry about blood sugar spikes.
    http://www.gisymbol.com/food-for-thought-80/
  • fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! I am definitely going to give it a try.