Stimulant effects?

Options
nitaaaaa
nitaaaaa Posts: 19 Member
I have been reading up on Phentermine and really want to give it a try. One concern though is the heart rate /blood pressure impact I hear about. I have taken Concerta in the past for ADHD but try not to anymore bc my blood pressure shoots up and I feel like my heart is racing. I suppose if it's only temporary and will return to normal after 3 months, maybe it's worth it since my base BP would hopefully decrease after losing weight. I really don't want to gain any weight back after stopping it, but I'm afraid that how can I build better exercise habits if the medicine already makes your heart race? How do people who have successfully used this as a jump-start for a few months handle being able to exercise (esp cardio) while taking this? Also, not sure if they are similar, but my docto gave me topamax in the past and it just made me extremely tired.

Replies

• Nancyh59
    Nancyh59 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have mild hypertension and I take medication for it. My doctor did a thorough heart check before letting me take phentermine and so far it hasn't affected my blood pressure. However, she also prescribed it for my 23 year old daughter who weighs around 250. Her blood pressure was slightly high, but it seems that phentermine caused it to shoot up--almost to a scary level. We took her right back off of it--plus the phen had not seemed to help suppress her appetite. It seems there's not a consistent effect on blood pressure . . didn't bother me, but was terrible for my daughter. I suppose you could try and make sure you monitor your blood pressure closely.