Melatonin can cause high blood sugar

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
Just wanted to pass this along since many of us are keeping an eye on our blood sugar due to the increased risk of diabetes:

http://blog.dansplan.com/research-reveals-an-odd-connection-between-melatonin-and-type-2-diabetes/

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have never had any success using Melatonin. I tried it several years back, and I never noticed any issue with blood sugar, but I didn't take it long either. Seemed fairly pointless at the time, and my sugars seemed to be more of a non-issue back then... Will read the article later.
  • stacymarie01
    stacymarie01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Dang it! I take it every night!
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You could be ok if you aren't part of the population that has the mutation that is hyper-sensitive to it. I realized I felt terrible the mornings after taking melatonin and got curious. In snooping around, I realized this stuff is prescription-only in Europe, and they think we're crazy for handing it out like candy here.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I take it every night, too! Hmm ...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I have taken it every night since maybe October and when I had blood work done last month, my A1C had dropped from 5.5 (a year ago) to 4.9. Although my FBG had gone from 80 to 91. Hmm ...
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    for those who said they take it every night - do you notice it still helps you? my understanding is that its not meant to be taken long-term... i have used it in the past but only for short-term periods of times