How often do you weigh in?

Options
sparklesammy
sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
I am "officially" weighing in once a week, on a Monday morning before breakfast. I do have several unofficial steps on the scale throughout the week though, just to check, and I'm not sure how helpful it is.

Replies

• gazellefish
    gazellefish Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh M/W/F - I used to be a once a week weigh-er but I was finding that if the number wasn't lower I would get discouraged, so I upped the frequency and now it's easier for me to see the dips, stalls and losses. For whatever reason if I gain a pound from Monday - Wednesday it's a lot easier to process than Monday - Monday. I also work out frequently enough that water retention is a concern so it's nice to see the number dip again occasionally.
  • Jirachii
    Jirachii Posts: 152 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Kind of just out curiosity more than anything else. I'm *really* wanting to be under 200, so inching towards that excites me. I've noticed certain trends, like it's uncommon for the scale to drop in two consecutive weighings unless the drop is .5 or less. Usually it's drop, rise or stay, drop. It doesn't bother me to see a slight raise, but it does bother me to be at the same exact weight for a while.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I record officially once a week, Wednesday or Thursday mornings, but I may weigh in more than that. I usually see a trend where I weigh my least on a Saturday morning, but my most on a Monday or Tuesday morning, so I take the Thursday reading as the average. I think part of the rise from Saturday to Monday is that it's the weekend, so sometimes my intake goes up a bit, and I also have some water retention over the weekend because I don't wear my constriction socks on the weekend.

Seeing that little rise doesn't bother me too much, unless it doesn't dip back down as the week progresses - like this week....
  • tricia5715
    tricia5715 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I get up and use the bathroom. I have a really simple weight tracker on my tablet (Simple Weight Tracker) and I enter the weight in there every day. I've only been here on MFP for 11 days so I haven't made any official "weigh in" day yet.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing in the morning. I was weighing weekly for a while, but I find that seeing daily data helps me see trends and focus less on any one particular measurement.

When I was weighing once a week, it seemed much more important to me. Now it's just a number that goes up and down. As long as the trend is downward, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

When it levels off, I will know something needs to be adjusted.
  • Jedi1989
    Jedi1989 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm too curious for my own good, so I do it daily. I skip it on days I know I'm not going to like what I see.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Personally, weighing in daily gives the scale less power over me. I wait until I see a new whole humber for 3 to 4 days in a row before I "claim" it on mfp. I don't even deal in parts of a pound. It goes up, it goes down, but as long as it is trending downward all is good. I trust the process and know I am in this for at least the next year before maintenance. I actually do better when I ignore the scale for a couple days then check back in. But I am a numbers person, it is fun to see the trends. Even those 2 weeks of plateaus that break with 4 to 5 lbs in a week...
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I do my 'official' weigh on Sundays and update all my challenges. I also jump on the scale maybe 1-2 times a day, but this is usually with clothes on and I guess how much my clothes weigh and how much is extra water. If I'm having a whoosh and dropping weight, I may updated my MFP weight a couple times in the week.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day but don't necessarily log it. It helps me keep on top of things!
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Right now, officially, twice a week. At the Y on Sunday, after breakfast, coffee and a snack, and fully dressed, at noon. Then again at home on Wednesday. After my workout in the morning, and after 20 oz of water, undies only. Today I actually weighed before drinking and working out and was 2 lbs down from last Wednesday...so I think NIM, pre-workout and liquid, is the new official way to go.

BUT, I also just accepted a dare from a friend to weigh Monday 4/17 and then not again until Monday 5/15. It may kill me.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I just weighed in this morning and I am 3 to 4 lbs up. Because I weigh in every day I just gave the scale and face and said, see you tomorrow. I know we just got back from a big trip, climbed a mountain, ate out, etc. I know I ate at my calories but did not pay attention to sodium, macros, etc. It will probably take 2 to 3 days to get back where I was before the trip. But hey, it will come back down. I just have to wait. Just wanted to share my perspective today. I know it does not work for everyone, but if you can give the scale less power over your emotions, it makes this journey easier. (I might be back with a rant if it does not go down in a couple weeks, but that is what mfp friends are for, right?)
  • abbelina04
    abbelina04 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I weight once a week except i never weight the week of my period - sorry if that's to much info but I am being honest
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I weigh in 1 x a week and do measurements 1 x a month. I have my scale sitting outside my family room, so occasionally, after I think I've over-indulged, I'll weigh the next morning, but don't log anything.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day...and before someone howls at me...I don't freak out when my weight fluxuates. I like to know the rhythm of my weight over the month. The scale is just a tool, just like food, exercise, measurements.

And I do weight everyday (and sometimes before I got to bed) for this reason
    dawnz75 wrote: »
    ...you can give the scale less power over your emotions, it makes this journey easier.

• MissSass2
    MissSass2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm doing twice a week. Midweek, just to make sure I am staying on track and then my "official" weigh in on Sunday.
  • rustychord
    rustychord Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I weigh in officially on Friday. I just bought one of those new scales that does all the other measurements so I can't resist but to jump on it every day. I'm a data geek so the numbers make smile haha
  • rfrieman
    rfrieman Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Officially to log my weight is once a week. But I weigh myself every morning just to stay in check.
  • bscroggins05
    bscroggins05 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Tuesday and Friday. Knowing "tomorrow is weigh in day" helps to keep me in check most of the time.
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Once a week officially on Fridays otherwise I would go insane with the various fluctuations throughout the week. But I weigh in and log it on Friday because Saturday and Sunday are rest days and I don't usually workout on those except maybe a walk if I'm in the mood.