Charge 2 Active Minutes Ridiculously High?

aubreyjordan
aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
Is anyone elses Charge 2 registering active minutes when you are in fact not active? I got over 30 minutes in the middle of the night, though the sleep tracker says I was asleep. On Friday, I was home sick and stayed in bed and on the computer, but somehow got over 300 active minutes. It's been over registering for 5 days now. I did contact Fitbit support today, just wondering if it is just me.

Replies

• SammiG01
    SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
    Also sleep tracking. Apparently I slept for 8 hrs and 16 min with 420 minutes awake. I think I would have noticed!
  • jackie_jones83
    jackie_jones83 Posts: 4 Member
    Yes, I have the same issue. I don't really trust the calorie expenditure on my Fitbit. It says I burn on average 2500 calories a day, which I know isn't true. Keep track of your heart rate during activity, sometimes mine is at peak when I'm just walking.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2017
    Yes, I have the same issue. I don't really trust the calorie expenditure on my Fitbit. It says I burn on average 2500 calories a day, which I know isn't true. Keep track of your heart rate during activity, sometimes mine is at peak when I'm just walking.

Well, do realize that the activity levels that steps are given to have no bearing on calories calculated.

Unless you know how these things work - please examine your actual experience with calorie burn levels.

Many people only know about eating 1200 calories as the standard diet number thrown around willy-nilly with no bearing on the actual person - and so have no experience on burn levels.

You could easily have a daily burn of 2500 calories depending on age, weight, height and activity level.

The fact your HR is hitting peak level could just mean you are badly out of shape right now, or getting a false HR reading, or your HR levels are based on the tired and inaccurate 220-age, and you are actually more fit for your age than that little formula assumes.

But if normal activity walking, like to the bathroom at work, reaches peak, then either you really gotta go and movin, or false reading or outta shape.

Not to take away from a real potential issue mentioned - but what you mentioned is totally possible and valid.
  • aubreyjordan
    Fitbit said to restart the device. I did, but it's still registering heart rate levels in the 130s and 140s in my sleep or during activities where my heart rate wouldn't be over 90, 100 tops. I'm going to call during my lunch.
  • aubreyjordan

Fitbit measures your TDEE, so all the calories you burn just being alive plus your movement.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Yeah that's very weird, haven't had a problem with mine. Hope you get it fixed.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    That is strange! I haven't had that problem with mine, either.

The calories burned are higher than I would've anticipated but I'm also realizing I'm more active than I'd given myself credit for, so it might not be off. ;) (I'm just coming back to maintenance and have had the Charge 2 less than 3 weeks so still trying to figure out my true maintenance cals. I think it might be a little high but probably not more than 10% or so.)
  • Travisrrose
    Travisrrose Posts: 1 Member
    Please let us know if they replace it for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    macchiatto wrote: »
    That is strange! I haven't had that problem with mine, either.

The calories burned are higher than I would've anticipated but I'm also realizing I'm more active than I'd given myself credit for, so it might not be off. ;) (I'm just coming back to maintenance and have had the Charge 2 less than 3 weeks so still trying to figure out my true maintenance cals. I think it might be a little high but probably not more than 10% or so.)

Mine is pretty accurate, and underestimates calories, if anything. I actually understand that I was completely off in my maintenance calories before and that activity really makes a HUGE difference.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    I've found the heart rate tends to spike more during exercise when it shouldn't be.

I tried moving the fitbit around 180 degrees to the underside of my wrist while exercising it tends to give a more accurate HR level. I've watched the screen and felt my pulse and they seem to be in sync as it should be since I'm taking my pulse on the underside of my wrist just like any doctor or nurse would and I have the sensor right there as well.
  • aubreyjordan
    Please let us know if they replace it for you.

Yes, after troubleshooting failed, they offered to replace it free of charge. New one should be here today!