Frustrated

Options
mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
So, I should be able to lose weight eating as many as 2000 cals, but I can't. This week I've been eating between 13-1500 cals, and STILL not losing. I'm not getting an exercise in other than my daily activities right now. I record everything that goes in my mouth, but it's not all "clean". If CICO is correct, then should it matter if I eat chips?

Replies

• kitchen_sorceress
    kitchen_sorceress Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Is it possible 2,000 calories were too low? I ask because if calories are too low, the body will protect itself from starving and hold onto every bit. With chips, CICO might not be the same as the salt might actually make you retain water and that would affect the scale--so I guess it might be worth looking at how many calories from chips? Just some quick thoughts.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I saw this on another thread and thought it might actually be helpful. How long have you been at it? Did you set the 2,000 or did MFP? Are you SURE about your portions? Could be a lot of things...

ozuhfs931kvb.jpg
  • mjj79
    Options
    MFP originally set me to 1790 , based on 2 lbs a week. So of course, it's expected I would eat excercise cals back. My TDEE is 2300. I have been recording everything, weighing and measuring etc. I've been counting cals for a couple months now. I am currently nursing my baby, but only 4 times a day now. I just wonder if I need to be super drastic and cut out all carbs but veggies. I also have two autoimmune diseases, one of which affects my thyroid. My levels are within normal range tho.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, so long as you have a baby to nurse and other health issues, you need to have a doctors visit before you do anything drastic.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Is it possible 2,000 calories were too low? I ask because if calories are too low, the body will protect itself from starving and hold onto every bit. With chips, CICO might not be the same as the salt might actually make you retain water and that would affect the scale--so I guess it might be worth looking at how many calories from chips? Just some quick thoughts.

It's a dieting myth that the body will protect itself and reduce your metabolism with anything close to the normal dieting done here, it takes several weeks of real fasting for your BMR metabolism to go down.

If one is legitimately eating at a deficit then lack of weight loss is all about water retention from salt or TOM. So if your 2k calories included a good portion of chips, you probably shot up your sodium and are retaining water. I saw this for several weeks when I was eating lots of pickles and salted sun flower seeds. Lay off the salt and you should see a whoosh within a few days.
  • Theo166
    Options
    mjj79 wrote: »
    MFP originally set me to 1790 , based on 2 lbs a week. So of course, it's expected I would eat excercise cals back. My TDEE is 2300. I have been recording everything, weighing and measuring etc. I've been counting cals for a couple months now. I am currently nursing my baby, but only 4 times a day now. I just wonder if I need to be super drastic and cut out all carbs but veggies. I also have two autoimmune diseases, one of which affects my thyroid. My levels are within normal range tho.

TDEE is your maintenance level so 1790 doesn't jive with 2300 and losing 2lbs a week - that's just a 500 cal deficit or 1lb a week.

Here is a good link to play with TDEE https://tdeecalculator.net/

It might help us if you shared your height, weight and your perceived activity level.
  • mjj79
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

TDEE is your maintenance level so 1790 doesn't jive with 2300 and losing 2lbs a week - that's just a 500 cal deficit or 1lb a week.

It might help us if you shared your height, weight and your perceived activity level.

You're right. 1790 was when I had it set to lightly active. (My Fitbit usually shows a calorie burn of 2800-2900.) when i changed it back to not very active my cals went down to 1490.

I used the above TDEE cal and it also said 2300.

My height is 5"9.5, weight has been between 275-277, and not very active. I'm a homeschooling mom and work outside of the house 2 days of the week.
  • Theo166
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

You're right. 1790 was when I had it set to lightly active. (My Fitbit usually shows a calorie burn of 2800-2900.) when i changed it back to not very active my cals went down to 1490.

I used the above TDEE cal and it also said 2300.

My height is 5"9.5, weight has been between 275-277, and not very active. I'm a homeschooling mom and work outside of the house 2 days of the week.

So you should definitely be seeing scale losses eating at <2000. I'd give it some time and really focus on logging/weighing everything, to ensure you aren't going over by accident.

Also consider the impact of sodium, if you eat chips expect added water. Try cutting the chips for a week to see if you get a whoosh. You don't need to give them up forever, just build awareness on the short term increase in water weight. Periodically I'll eat a jar of pickles over a couple days. They are crunchy and low calorie, I enjoy them and am now prepared for my scale to stay flat for a bit.