Exercise cals

mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
Out of curiosity, how many of you eat back cals earned? From "real" exercise or just from a fitness tracker? (Daily cals burned above BMR) If you do, are you consistently losing?

Replies

• thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    I only log exercise that I do on purpose--that is, if I wouldn't have been doing it before I started losing weight, I log it.

I try not to eat into my calories burned, but sometimes it happens. When I first started, I would exercise for no reason than to have more calories to eat!

I have read that eating back half of your exercise calories is recommended, but I never researched that.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited April 2017
    I have a fitbit and so it gives exercise adjustment. I do eat them back...but I try to leave 100 to 200 calories on the books...so I'd say I eat 75% or so. I go to a dietician who has said she wants me at 1500 NET calories. So eating the exercise is expected.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    I eat some, but probably 50 to 60 percent usually. I think the estimate is too high of calories burned, I don't count stuff like gum or vitamins, and it gives me wiggle room until I have a smaller daily calorie goal. Once my daily calories are down further I'll be more experienced in knowing how many calories to eat back, what works and what doesn't.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    theowlbox wrote: »
    I think the estimate is too high of calories burned

Oh for sure. I'm not using MFP's exercise estimates anymore. I'm doing the calculation myself and entering it manually.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Do you both think Fitbit calorie burn is more accurate?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    I use a fitbit but my steps are between 1-5k per day on average. If you are going to rely on it to raise your goal you should also check the MFP box that allows it to reduce your calorie target for days you are inactive. I just enabled that change and it's a good reality check for days you are not at your selected 'activity level'.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    I might eat 100 or so back but I plan my meals based on my Macronutrient count I want for the day and only eat over those cals if I am truly hungry. I use a Gear Fit 2 (Samsung watch) to track my workouts and steps for the day. It is very comparable with my older (very accurate) Polar Watch with the chest strap heart rate monitor, so I trust the Gear Fit on the calories burned.
  • Jirachii
    Jirachii Posts: 152 Member
    At first I didn't touch my exercise calories. After I got my Fitbit though, I started eating into them a little bit. I use them as leeway if I'm still hungry, which lately has been often. But I'll only eat back maybe 50% of them max due to not trusting the measurements. On days I do 20k+ steps it tries to give me 1k+ calories and that just feels WAY too good to be true. Especially when I walk at a pretty slow pace. I still love seeing the numbers though!
  • MZPiggy825
    MZPiggy825 Posts: 6 Member
    Do you know if you can lose weight and still eat the calories given from your Fitbit it seems too good to be true ?
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm losing and eating the calories given by Fitbit. I do usually eat under my total goal including the exercise, by a couple hundred, but I do that more for a buffer in case I have the calories on something too low or forget to log my coffee creamer, etc. Obviously on days it gives me a crazy amount like 900 to 1000 - I'm ending the day with 500-600 left. But on a normal day, I'd say I'm pretty close.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    MZPiggy825 wrote: »
    Do you know if you can lose weight and still eat the calories given from your Fitbit it seems too good to be true ?

If you have your activity level set right it should be reasonable to eat back some of the extra calories. But you may also want to check the box in settings that allows fitbit to also reduce your target for days when you are extra sedentary. If it only works for one way then your loss may slow.