Using Smartwatch (Gear) for Steps, FitBit for Sleep

Options
dstracco
dstracco Posts: 3 Member
Hi - I just started using a smart watch for steps and activity but I still use my FitBit for sleep. I am wondering if anyone else does this and what information I need to give MyFitnessPal access to and what direction it will sync.

Is it possible to have steps sync to FitBit? As far as I can tell you can't have steps record to FitBit. I want to be able to record steps with my smartwatch and still participate in my company's work FitBit community.

When you link the two the allowances settings don't explain what direction each goes because it just says "Access and Write" - I am just left to assume it only goes fitbit steps -> MFP and not the other way around.

To further confuse me, the sleep data has not synced in a couple of months.

Does anyone else use FitBit to track sleep and another app for steps? Or if you use FitBit for sleep are you able to view in MyFitnessPal or do you just use FitBit apps for sleep tracking?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Steps don't sync to Fitbit from MFP.

Other apps may have used that option, but not Fitbit and MFP.

What can sync is a workout of a certain calorie burn - that's it. No steps, distance is included.

As to what Fitbit can directly sync with and what data is moved there - have to check on Fitbit's site and your smartwatch.

Every case I've seen the steps that do sync in do NOT count toward any challenges or the total of steps shown in some stats.

Why?

Because people cheat at challenges, and causing another device to record more steps than really done, or just a ton in general - and then get them to sync in to Fitbit and count - would cause them to win challenges.

Fitbit attempts to stop that.

If all you want Fitbit for is sleep tracking - don't even sync with MFP - just a waste there.

Not unless the smartwatch syncs with Fitbit only, and that's the only way to get the daily burn into MFP to adjust your eating goal correctly.