May 2 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• RangerRickL
    Options
    ozl6tuul685w.jpg
    When I was in my 30's, which was 1980-1990, Dr. Kenneth Cooper, the pioneer of cardio state exercise, believed that you had to do more than 12 minutes of steady state running or other cardiovascular conditioning exercise to achieve an 'aerobic effect'. That is a metabolic effect that raises your metabolic rate and keeps your body burning calories for hours after the actual exercise.
    Now, most exercise physiologists believe that cardio/intervals which include both steady state endurance and sprints which raise your heart rate to more than 80% of maximum heart rate is the best way to achieve significant calorie burn that lifts your metabolic rate for hours.
    In the UAC, you choose your exercise and your own style. Make sure it pushes you beyond your normal comfort zone. It's your choice.
    Please share what works for you to achieve weight loss and cardio/vascular or strength fitness.
    Rick
  • Dosse1320
    Dosse1320 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 Well said,"You cannot out exercise a bad diet". Like @phoebelayla said,"Good nutrition first but exercise helps".
  • pribud
    pribud Posts: 453 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback about exercising and nutrition @lovesretirement @craigo3154 @phoebelayla @RangerRickL @Dosse1320 . It will come in handy after my surgery as I agree it is not about speed but endurance. I do believe though that intervals of speed is good. When I can walk again I will keep a good pace and step it up for at least a minute or two every 5 to 10 minutes, maybe start with 10 and 1, then work my way down to 5 and 1. Sounds very reasonable to me. That way I will always be at the weight loss level but pump it up to the aerobic level.........I do realize I will have to start slow at first though.......Good insight @everyone as I too believe that our nutrition has to come first :) Right now I am limited to my stationary bike(no tension, which I do every day for a minimum of 30 minutes ) and pool exercising(which I do 4 times a week).

@2020pinktogo hope you get your outfits straightened out....sounds funny but I can see how planning works. With me it means everything.

I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia so I will not be reporting until my day is over as it is only 2:45pm here. So far so good though... ;)

Thanks again everyone. As usual great sharing, it will be a pleasure for me to be able to share my journey with all of you! WHAT A TEAM!
  • SimonsChange
    SimonsChange Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes 20 minute cycling
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    @fitqueenbess I agree that heart rate monitoring is very important to understanding how exercise is affecting you.
    @craigo3154 and @lovesretirement are wise to remind us that eating healthy comes first and then healthy exercise provides the fitness level to enjoy life.
    @phoebelayla A wellness doctor told me that he looked at the muscle mass level of his patients as the primary indicator of future health. Even if the patient was above the ideal BMI of fat, being above average in muscle mass was the most important. Obviously, others have different opinions. I exercise to be able to continue to be able to ride horses; hike outdoors and stay flexible.
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    Today's report:
    Calories: under my limit by 294 cals
    Tracking: ok
    Exercise: easy day walk at 3.5 mph for 30 minutes. Tomorrow, it's intervals.
  • Gus130
    Gus130 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I am usually a walker if I am going to push to lose weight I go with Leslie Sansone walking videos and Richard Simmons. I love Richard sometimes I do the videos just to have him tell me how great I look today he just makes me laugh. My daughter hates him LOL.

I really need to plan my outfits for a week I always stick to it. Today's outfit is once again being tossed aside for something else. This is crazy how I can plan outfits for an entire week and be content. Do an outfit for a day and am having outfit remorse and am changing. Tonight I come home and make outfits for the rest of this week and next and stop the craziness.

@aeshippers I got rid of my bike 5 years ago and am regretting it. It may go on my look at garage sale list. It's where I got the last one. ;)

I always liked Richard Simmons tapes too.

• Gus130
    Gus130 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. 20 minutes on my aerodyne bike plus walking
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes