Bariatric surgery?

Options
linzbecky123
linzbecky123 Posts: 55 Member
My wife is getting a gastric sleeve in a couple of weeks. I'm nervous about the surgery, but she and I both feel confident that this is a good way for her to take control of some health issues (blood pressure). Has anyone here gotten the gastric sleeve or know someone who has? We know a couple of people who have had really good results.

I'm anxious about taking care of her during the several weeks (it might be more like months) when she is on a primarily liquid diet. Won't she be horribly crabby? I would be.

This is pathetic and selfish, but today we met for lunch (a rare treat!) and indulged on ridiculous gourmet calzones and donuts. After her surgery, we won't be able to do things like that. Which is so not a big deal, at least it shouldn't be, but I'm wondering if I'll ever get resentful. I hope not.

Any thoughts, advice?

Replies

• xxCelestexx
    xxCelestexx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just had gastric sleeve done on April 17th. The most pain I had from the surgery was in my back from the gurney and the air they pump in. That lasted for 3 days. I only took the pain meds for a few days put of the hospital but other than that I was able to do most everything for myself out side of some lifting or bending. There should not be too much you will have to help her with as the weeks go on as long as it's being done laproscopocally with the robot. That is just 5 small incisions.
    Before my surgery I had to be on 12 days liquid only(this time varies by weight and hospital). I was worried about bring cranky but I surprisingly was not. I attribute this to two things. One: they say after 3 days your body goes into ketosis, it is used to the low calories and you don't experience physical hunger pain as much. Also I knew that I had to follow this in order the have the surgery. My mind knew there could be no cheating or going off track so it was easier to focus and accept.
    I am supposed to continue liquids only for 2 weeks post op (again varies by hospital). The start of week 2 has been harder. Your wife may get depressed that she cannot eat what you can. You will have to discuss with her what her comfort level will be with some foods. I will still take my boyfriend out to get food but it is hard to smell a cheeseburger and fries and not being able to have one yourself. Your wife may be okay with you bringing that into the house or she may prefer that you eat there to keep that temptation away.
    You mentioned how it will change going out. I have felt that impact a bit. I had old habits and "traditions" with my boyfriend like grabbing food and driving around, popcorn at the movies, going to the ice cream stand. It's hard for me when we are driving around not to crave the food but I try to offer that to him still as something to grab towards the end. I know my boyfriend feels guilty that I cannot do these things but he should not.
    At the same time I appreciate that he respects the things that are really hard for me by not bringing chocolate or pizza into the house which are my favorites.
    I started my pre-op diet on April 5th. Since then I have gone from 375lbs to 345lbs today. I don't regret this yet.
  • linzbecky123
    linzbecky123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply! This is actually really encouraging to hear. It sounds like your recovery has been okay, and that's reassuring to hear that the liquid diet wasn't too horrible. And 30 pounds lost in less than a month -- that's amazing! I'm going to send you a friend request if that 's okay -- I'd love to keep in touch a bit about your progress and compare notes or ask questions when my wife is going through what you've been through (you're a month ahead of her! Her surgery is scheduled for May 18!) Thanks again.