5/4 Thursday Day 4 SLBC

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
ggxbz9g7nn8t.jpg

Welcome to Day 4 of Sit Less Boot Camp! Beginning today, we will have two daily challenges: a main challenge and an alternative challenge if you prefer. If neither is a good fit for you, you've always got your One Thing!

Theme: Sit, But Don't Stay Seated!

Today's Challenge: The total amount of sitting we do throughout the day has a big impact on our health, but so does how long we've been sitting at any one time. If you've been sitting for an hour or more, that's too long! Make a point to stand up, move around, or walk a little throughout the day, every 30 to 40 minutes or so. Using an activity tracker (like a Fitbit), setting an alarm on your phone, or downloading a reminder to move app can also help. (See: https://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/wellness/activity_and_break_apps for a list of such apps. Add to this list: Move Your App).

Today's challenge is to really focus on getting up out of the chair throughout the day. Don't sit too long! Besides....we hardly burn any calories when we sit. Standing burns more calories than sitting and moving about or walking slowly burns even more calories. Minimizing how much you sit will help you achieve your weight loss goals.

And please tell us, what strategies did you use to remember to get up and move throughout the day? Share your tips and help others sit less!

Alternative Challenge: Take your time in the grocery store. Walk down each aisle (the steps add up!). Pause to read the labels and see what is in your food.

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I love the Move Your App I have set it to go off every 20 minutes to get up and move.
  • debk0718
    debk0718 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I now have a sit/stand work station. The only time I've been sitting during the challenge at work is during meetings and to have lunch. I've always been a fast walker, so I think I'll try 'slowing' my pace a bit. Loving the challenges!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I love the Move Your App I have set it to go off every 20 minutes to get up and move.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm enjoying using it too!
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    going to try the move your app as well
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Both are great challenges!!
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit has an alarm that reminds me every 40 minutes to get up and move. It also tells me how many steps I need to take.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded Move Your App and will try this too. I'm headed to the grocery store for lunch at the salad bar in the deli, so I'll walk slowly up and down every aisle and hopefully not buy a bunch of junk food because I'm hungry! LOL!
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm going to check out that app!!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,103 Member
    Options
    I am willing to let anyone look after my 3 year old if you would like to sit less!!

Anyone?
  • jdelgado3013
    jdelgado3013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nice. I installed Workrave and Awareness apps on my computer.
    I will give it a shot. I will give my reviews after a week.
    They look interesting.
    I am walking during the commercials too.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    Today I got a good walk in by parking all the way on the other side of the football stadium. Then while I was doing my office hours, I set a timer to remind me to get up every 15 minutes. It turns out I didn't really need it because students kept knocking on the office door. :)
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Today I walked through the grocery store and went up and down the stairs, twice, instead of taking the elevator.
    I'm also going to check out the list of apps and download one to my phone right now.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    My LG Sport watch makes me move through out the day.
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I spent the day taking my mom to her Dr. appointment and then lunch and then home to get a little cleaning and laundry done. The only down side is the hour plus drive there and back, but I did make a point of not sitting down again right after getting out of the car.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I read this Friday AM, Oddly on Thursday I went to the grocery and Costco. Both are huge buildings and I got in over 4K steps between them. Multitasking is fun :).
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Love the move your app! Great suggestion
  • arkaycee
    arkaycee Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've used Time Out! on the Mac, and now that I've got it set right for me it's working great! (one hint: have the reminders go off like 5 seconds before the actual break; I had them set to flash screen/play sound/play message right at the break, and have found that 5 seconds gives me time to finish typing that last sentence or whatever). Then for the 10-minute hourly break, I have a 10-minute countdown timer on my watch so I can walk away and keep reasonable track of how long 'til I should get back to my desk (I have a poor sense of passing time).
  • arkaycee
    arkaycee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Aside: I sure with "Move Your App" had an Android version; it looks sweet for those non-work times. I'm trying to figure out Randomly Remind Me now... will look around for examples. I'll use that at home for watching TV and the like.