Options
NewOR2015
NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
May is here!

Replies

• NewOR2015
    Options
    Summer is right around the corner for me. Work has been extra busy, and I can't wait for my summer vacation. It will give me time to think about ME! I don't like feeling overwhelmed by deadlines and To Do lists. I want some freedom and leisure. I just need to remember to enjoy it while it lasts.
  • 1skholloway
    1skholloway Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! Knowing me I would waste the time off. I do better with a schedule as much as I don't like following one. I'm probably not disciplined enough to set a schedule for days off.

So, I'm totally off artificial sweeteners and I think it has caused my metabolism to really increase. I use only liquid stevia and have quit drinking diet soda or artificially sweetened sparkling water. Since doing this, I am losing weight eating the same amount of calories on which I was able to maintain my weight before. I haven't been to the gym this week so my exercise has not been as intense. I find it hard to believe that artificial sweeteners had such an effect. I also quit using powdered coffee creamer but that shouldn't matter. The only other change was quitting a medicine that had weight loss as a side effect. I'm trying to increase my calories to go back to maintenance but so far I'm not eating enough. It's a nice problem and I'm blown away by it.
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    That is a wonderful problem! :wink: I did not know removing artificial sweeteners would have such an effect.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    Yeah, it is. I'm supposed to be maintaining my weight though. I'm not saddened by the loss and my clothes still fit. I don't know if removing the artificial sweeteners did it but I can't figure out what else would have. I had a weight gain today of about 1.4 pounds but that's probably water retention or such. I ate at banquet last night and although the food didn't taste salty I imagine it had salt and I don't use salt except in oatmeal. I also ate more calories than I normally would. I'm still seeing how this plays out. It's interesting to say the least.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Ok I am just barely keeping everything together. I am staying strong for my mom as she watches her mother die. Though I know I will be adding stuff to my book of what I don't want when my day comes. Today I have laundry over. Then I have to grocery shop for both mom and I and then go to the hospital. I am so tired so that's what has me occupied at the moment.
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    My 83-year-old mom has been dealing with back pain recently, moaning and groaning day after day. Not fun. Doctors say she will be fine. I keep thinking "what can I do now to avoid going through that when I get older?"
    @2020pinktogo My thoughts and prayers are with you and the moms.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Grandma passed this afternoon after 23 days in the hospital. Now it's time to get everyone through the next few days. Then mom and I have to clear out her apt. By the end of the month.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss @2020pinktogo. You and your family are in my prayers.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    We have started the cleaning out grandma's apt. OMG this is just unbelievable. One keeps thinking why did she keep all this stuff then you think OMG what was she thinking she would have had so much more room if she didn't have a dresser full of sheets we put in a bag for my dad to use for rags.
    So what have I claimed. I claimed grandma's dumbbells and all her hangers. I know I wanted a few things but they aren't there. So at this point in the game it's crazy to worry about it. Now it's all about emptying the apt and moving on.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing well to be able to already clean out the apartment. I'm sorry the things you wanted aren't there. You have your memories of her and those beat out any things you could get. Your story should be a lesson to me to clean out so someone else doesn't have to do it later. Still praying for you and your family.

I'm dealing with some anxiety and depression. Some of it, the anxiety for sure, is due to weaning off Gabapentin, which I took for migraines. In the past, I couldn't tolerate lowering this by even 100 mg/day. So far, I can tolerate it. I'm trying to get off it totally. I'm having to slow the tapering due to the anxiety. This drug has a lot of negative side effects. For a time, I needed it but if I can get off it or reduce my dosage, I want to do so. I am doing better but think I need a day off. I haven't wanted to go to work any morning for over a week now. I am watching for flags and I am mindful of them. My therapist and family doctor are aware of what's going on and told me to contact them if things get worse. I'm sure this will pass, I'm just ready for it to be over!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Our goal is to turn in the apartment keys Tuesday or Wed. I took a vacation day Mon. In order to make it a reality. I am at the point of I just don't care. Love to say that's not true but the reality is its just stuff and when you die its someone else s mess to clean up. I am going to make up cheat sheets for my parents myself and my husband of what is needed info wise when you die. Put it all in one spot as some things I would have no clue for my husband. Strange to think I know my parents info better than my husband s. Got to get ready for work. This is my last Sat for a while.
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    @2020pinktogo So sorry for your loss.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    What I should do is readjust my bedroom furniture so I can take in my grand mothers cedar chest. Part of me is thinking do I really want and or need this. Nope but mom has no room for it. I really need to give this some thought.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    I bet you are having to make lots of tough decisions like that. If you don't want it, let it go. If your mom really wants it, she will find a spot for it.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    My dad is super cranky about everything. My mom has her grandmother's which my sister is supposed to take but has no room for yet so I figured I would take the smaller one to help my mom till my sister takes hers. ;)
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Well I stepped on the scale let's just say when I eat junk and am just guessing the scale shows it. I am up again 4 lbs. My pants felt like it too. :'(
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    With what you have been through lately, it's okay. I think most people would gain weight. I don't think a 4 pound gain is bad. I bet you get that off quickly.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    I hope so work convinced me to join the banks team in the 5 k. I was very apprehensive about it but then I said to myself this 5 k is in my stomping grounds and is actually right where I walk I can do this. I signed up as a walker not a runner. I am stepping out of my comfort zone. ;)
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    Oh I think you can do it easily. At your old job you walked a lot and fast. You can do it again.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I did not go over to my parents today. I know my body is just lashing out at me. I have severe fibromyalgia usually I have it under control. With all the heavy lifting and moving last night I thought I was going to die. I should have known it was coming as my body literally shut down and collapsed when I got home. Then I woke up to intense pain I got in the tub to try to settle things down. I am going to have to take things easy for a while till the body adjusts. At least no more heavy lifting. ;) hope you had a great weekend.sue