5/9 Tuesday Day 9 SLBC

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
l8p3m12o3fa1.jpg

Theme: How's Your “One Thing” Going?

Today's Challenge: You selected one action to focus on this month that should result in you sitting less. How is this priority action going? Is it becoming easier to do and maybe even a habit? For today’s challenge, focus on your “One Thing”. Stick with it and give it some attention today. New habits need regular practice!

And please tell us about your progress and successes in sitting less. Nothing is too small to be noted and celebrated!

Alternative Challenge: Make a point to park further away from your destination today. Those extra steps really add up!

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    jlbay wrote: »
    With my new pedometer and my Move Your App set, I'm making my platinum goal to sit less. I have been feeling a bit more tired, and needing to stretch my lower legs a lot (possibly also due to past injuries) with this new standing-while-internetting goal. I'm standing on an antifatigue mat at my kitchen counter, but it's still something new for my body to adjust to.

I'm still struggling to get in enough steps every day - at least 6k is my goal with 10k being my ultimate goal. I've got to refocus on my goal of taking the babies out on two short daily walks. I'm parking further away at stores...and walking each aisle if my kids aren't recreating a three stooges act.

So, it's starting to feel like something I can make my new lifestyle if I just keep with the reminders, etc. That's encouraging.

You are making excellent strides, @jlbay! Keep in mind, as I'm sure you are, that your platinum goal doesn't have to be achieved this month. Just as with weight loss, small sitting less changes implemented over time are usually the most sustainable.

I think your two short daily walks with your kids is a terrific strategy. Everyone benefits from fresh air and sunshine.

I'm just thrilled you see this as a new lifestyle for you!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the Move Your App because it helps when it finds me sitting and gently gives me a good reason to get up and move! I'm getting a lot accomplished around my house!
  • Silinde
    Silinde Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I stopped working late (I was working really late 2d per week, as in near to midnight and that with a 2-hour drive home ahead) and that way I'm still getting a little done at home in the evening. It's just a small thing but it will still get in some extra steps and movement anyway. And if I get a cleaner house, when I'm allowed to do sports again (in 2 weeks, I hope), I might find the time to do so.
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    We actually have sunshine today, which is so exciting compared to the last week of rain and flooding. I'm hoping I can get out for a walk today at lunch instead of walking inside (though I'm very grateful I can walk inside when the weather is not behaving).

I walked to the far away bus stop today (I usually do in the nice weather). I'm looking forward to it warming up soon!!
  • pettu
    pettu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sitting less, with an aim to clear junk I have been on my feet all day.... but forgot to use my Fitbit! So although done more steps- it's not been counted...
  • themedalist
    Options
    pettu wrote: »
    Sitting less, with an aim to clear junk I have been on my feet all day.... but forgot to use my Fitbit! So although done more steps- it's not been counted...

I know it's frustrating forgetting a Fitbit, but your body is counting every step!
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm just grateful I can walk with less pain than I had yesterday. Hopefully I'll be back 100% by the weekend.
  • arkaycee
    arkaycee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The Mac app is really doing its job. I had to keep postponing one of the hourly 10-minute breaks yesterday (sometimes you're in the midst of "brain surgery" on a computer program and can't really stop til you've got it working again), but other than that, I was doing great! Managed to get 10,000 steps in yesterday, muchly due to getting up and taking breaks walking around at work.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit already reminds me to move 6x a day, I just increased that to 9 hrs. I will also walk to the park and back 2x more today. That is about 2500 steps per trip, already did one after breakfast.
  • PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm using WorkRave on my computer to remind me to move every 30 minutes. What I love about it is that it is based off my amount of activity, so if I get up and move around while in the middle of the timer, it pauses, then continues counting down once I become active again.
  • themedalist
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am really enjoying reading your sit less updates. Please keep 'em coming!
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm using WorkRave on my computer to remind me to move every 30 minutes. What I love about it is that it is based off my amount of activity, so if I get up and move around while in the middle of the timer, it pauses, then continues counting down once I become active again.

What is this WorkRove?? I think that would be very helpful.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,023 Member
    Options
    My 1 thing is 250 steps per hour between 9 and 6. I'm getting lots of steps, but even though I hit my goal of 10,000 steps by 1 pm, I'm still working on those hourly steps. :)
  • RDancer5
    RDancer5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been doing really well with my daily walks, but to be honest, my 'one thing' has not been going as well as I had hoped. After chatting about it with my motivating Aunt, she reminded me that the 'one thing' is not etched in stone, and she wants people to switch gears if another 'one thing' comes along that may be better. She also said others may be feeling like this, so I should share. So here it is! I am officially changing my 'one thing'. I am now going to try to incorporate a 10-15 min walk during my lunch break. I have realized I usually finish eating in 10-15 minutes and then just go back to work early. So wish me luck on my new one thing!!
  • themedalist
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RDancer5 wrote: »
    I have been doing really well with my daily walks, but to be honest, my 'one thing' has not been going as well as I had hoped. After chatting about it with my motivating Aunt, she reminded me that the 'one thing' is not etched in stone, and she wants people to switch gears if another 'one thing' comes along that may be better. She also said others may be feeling like this, so I should share. So here it is! I am officially changing my 'one thing'. I am now going to try to incorporate a 10-15 min walk during my lunch break. I have realized I usually finish eating in 10-15 minutes and then just go back to work early. So wish me luck on my new one thing!!

Wow, @RDancer5...your Aunt nailed it. :)

I ask folks early on to select a "One Thing" because sitting is a habit and sitting less requires developing new and better habits. And that takes time and practice. It wouldn't work to build Boot Camp around practicing our One Things every day, and with so many ways to sit less, I thought it made sense to structure the daily challenges around test driving some of these options.

If your One Thing is working out for you, great! If not, finding an activity you do enjoy and will want to keep doing is where I'd suggest putting your efforts.

It's all trial and error. My goal is simply that you'll continue to sit less long after Boot Camp is over.
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My One Thing is going very well. I am using the new app on my phone, set to remind me every hour to get up and move I'm actually finding it easy to do.
    Tonight, I also went through a very large box, getting ready for our garage sale.