advice for wedding dress shopping?

Options
kts1988
kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
i booked my first appointment to try on dresses for september 7th. i'm exciting but nervous. i am sooo ready to try on dresses mentally, but hope i can lose some more weight by then.

have you tried on (or even purchased) your dress yet? any advice?

Replies

• Itsjustme86
    Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress in June and my number 1 peice advice would be bring a limited number of people with you! The more people the more opinions and the more stressful it can be!

It isn't like it is on tv! Those dresses are hot, heavy and a pain to put on and take off! Wear nice underwear, more then you will be seeing them that day!

Don't go in expecting to only like one style, keep an open mind! You may end up with something you never thought you would end up with!

Most importantly don't get discouraged!! After my first day I wanted to call off the wedding and elope but the second day I managed to find my dress
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I think my sister is more excited about this than me...but I cannot wait to get the dress!

I am making myself wait until January... That's about 9 month out from the big day. Fiance and I cracked down on our diets this week after a few months of being bad. We had some pics done and were both disgusted with how we looked.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Most importantly don't get discouraged!! After my first day I wanted to call off the wedding and elope but the second day I managed to find my dress

Lol this will be me. I'm really not looking forward to dress shopping! x
  • kimkim2014
    kimkim2014 Posts: 29
    Options
    I agree with Shaney! Limit the number of people and it is VERY hot trying on those dresses. I was sweating by the end of my appointment. I tried on a few different styles to find the one I liked. Try to limit the number of dresses as it gets confusing even after just a few.

Enjoy! I bought my dress on Saturday I have just over 9 months to go
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the advice!
  • kenziberry
    kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress in June, and I am getting married in September.
    I was 100% not excited to go dress shopping, mainly becuase i wish i was in better shape
    I went the first time with 3 of my bridesmaids and closest friends.....and i found a dress i really liked, but didnt end up buying it

i went shopping again later with my mom, and had an idea of what i wanted becuae i had gone shopping with my girls once before, so i had the stylist pulling dresses that i described to her, did not love anything

finally she convienced me to try on some dresses that i was not interested in on the hanger (becuase I thought i knew what i already wanted)
    after trying on about 6 dresses that i was not imagining wearing i fell in LOVE with a dress
    i saw it on the hanger and would not have picked it....but after i put it on i knew it was the one!!!!!

my advice to u is to keep a very very open mind and try different things on....it always looks different off the hanger, and depending on where you go the stylists really do know what they are talking about

my dress is called a fit to flare and is very form fitting down to my thighs, which is extra motivation for me to keep eating right and working out

2 months left until the wedding and i couldnt be more excited.....no matter which dress you decide to go with you will be a beautiful bride!

enjoy your wedding and congrats!
  • cscbeth8421
    cscbeth8421 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am getting married at the end of THIS month! yiiiikes!
    I got engaged April 28th, and was running full steam ahead! I got my dress mid May and DID NOT WANT TO GO! I felt like i wasn't going to be happy trying anything on, nothing was going to look good, i was dreading putting the dress on and having to see myself in it for the first time outside the changing room (no mirrors in the changing room) in front of everyone. I forgot a strapless bra, i wore a thong....it was all so wrong from the beginning!
    I knew i had hips, i knew my man liked my hips, this IS my body and it's what i have to work with...so lets find something i am comfortable in that shows what i got to work with. My friends know what i look like, my family knows what i look like, of course my lovely fiance knows what i look like and loves me for it all. About the third dress i tried on was THE ONE. I didn't have that feeling of "OMG i said yes to the dress!". It was more or less like "oh i like this style, lets try on a few more like it". In the end i put the dress back on and they jacked me up, and then handed me a silly school bell (its tradition to make a wish and ring it) while everyone in the whole place clapped and cheered. I have to admit i got a bit teary eyed.
    Finding your dress can be stressful. MAKE SURE YOU WEAR APPROPRIATE UNDER CLOTHING! And like the ladies said, bring at least 2 people, but not too many more. Don't buy a dress any size smaller than the size you fit into. You will find the dress. You will.... :) And at the end of it, if you loose weight, great. and if not, you are still going to have the best dress and marry the man of your dreams!