New to Strength Training

Options
SavannahMarett
SavannahMarett Posts: 37 Member
So, I'm totally new to this. I have lost over 100 lbs in the last year doing cardio. In the past year I didn't do any weights (shame on me!) Now I can't even lift half of what I could before. Going from 299 to 190 I lost a lot of muscle. So I'm looking to start back. Losing so much weight I need to focus on my "batwings" lol and my thighs the most. I'm not scared to bulk up a little like a lot of women are. Honestly I like that look. So what should I do? How often? Do I do legs one day then arms the next? Do I mix cardio in with it? Before strength training is it best to eat before or after? I'm so lost! I have 50 more pounds to lose but I need to get stronger!

Replies

• irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    look into stronglifts 5 x 5. It is a progressive thing with heavy focus on form. If a barbell is too heavy at first, start with dumbbells. Depending on the type of barbell you have, it could be between 35 and 45 lbs. Make certain you do the warmups, don't add weight until you are confident in your form. It consists of 5 exercises total. Squats, which you do every workout, Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Bent Rows, and Bench presses. It's very motivating. At 54 my pbr dead was 219. I've had to stop because my muscle imbalances were causing problems at such heavy weights. But I'm hoping to get back to it soon.