The 411 on Garlic Girl's favortite...GARLIC! 7/25

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
http://www.acefitness.org/healthandfitnesstips/healthandfitnesstips_display.aspx?itemid=225

I am so happy right now! So, your challenge is to pick your favorite food, spice or herb (I am copyingo off of Mr. AAK) and post a benefit about it.

This should be fun! I know I did!

WW

PS need more proof my favorite is good for you?!
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-300-GARLIC.aspx?activeIngredientId=300&activeIngredientName=GARLIC

Replies

• GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    A Tablespoon of cumin seeds has over 20% DV of iron! (And 100% DV of yummy)
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I :heart: ginger! It helps with nausea, it tastes great, it will warm you up in the winter as a hot tea, and cool you down in the summer in a cool drink. It tastes awesome in recipes that need a bit of warmth without the after burn that chili can have. You can freeze it to grate into any recipe that is needed. Yep, LOVE it!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Carrots are an excellent of β-Carotene (Heh, carrot, carot-ene) Pretty much any orange colored fruit or vegetable is high in β-Carotene...since that's what it is, red-orange pigment.

Carrots are a good source of vitamin A. And, because β-Carotene is a pre-A, it increases the usefulness of vitamin A.

Carrots are a good carb and fiber source.

They caramelize exceptionally well because of the sugar carbs, sweetening them for kids who don't like veggies.

Carrots also give you the opportunity to walk around saying "What's up doc?"
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    A Tablespoon of cumin seeds has over 20% DV of iron! (And 100% DV of yummy)

LOOOOOL!!!!!!!! I love CUMIN but I have never tried the seeds!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Carrots are an excellent of β-Carotene (Heh, carrot, carot-ene) Pretty much any orange colored fruit or vegetable is high in β-Carotene...since that's what it is, red-orange pigment.

Carrots are a good source of vitamin A. And, because β-Carotene is a pre-A, it increases the usefulness of vitamin A.

I had shredded carrots in my apple and red cabbage salad....mmmm!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Peppermint aids in digestion and helps to settle upset stomachs

Capsaicin not only makes spicy food spicy, but it also has properties that help with pain relief and recent studies have been done on a nasal spray for the treatment of allergic rhinitis (I keep telling people I love spicy food because it helps clear my sinuses!!!)
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt-

High in protein, which helps promote fullness. A typical 6-ounce serving contains 15 to 20 grams, the amount in 2 to 3 ounces of lean meat.

Contains roughly half the carbs as the regular kind—5 to 8 grams per serving compared with 13 to 17.

A serving of Greek yogurt averages 50 milligrams of sodium—about half the amount in most brands of the regular kind.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2011/09/30/greek-yogurt-vs-regular-yogurt-which-is-more-healthful?page=2
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt-

High in protein, which helps promote fullness. A typical 6-ounce serving contains 15 to 20 grams, the amount in 2 to 3 ounces of lean meat.

Contains roughly half the carbs as the regular kind—5 to 8 grams per serving compared with 13 to 17.

A serving of Greek yogurt averages 50 milligrams of sodium—about half the amount in most brands of the regular kind.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2011/09/30/greek-yogurt-vs-regular-yogurt-which-is-more-healthful?page=2

Excellent. And the plain varieties work pretty well with protein powders.