Shoes?

Options
carolyn000000
carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
I have been trying to find a new OCR shoe because my Reeboks are too thin on the bottom and don't offer enough support. I feel every rock and root! They work great in the mud and I do like them, but I want more stability if it is out there. I just got a pair of Inov 8 Talon 212, but I had to go up a size. The heal slips a little and I am afraid I am going to get blisters. I would like to try them out on the trails but then I can't return them if they don't work out. Any suggestions?

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound a lil odd of a suggestion but bear with me a second:

Try them on with some thick merino wool socks.

Ever since I have run a winter race with them, they've made it to every single OCR I have ran. The wicking, padding and feel of them is just awesome, no matter the weather. (And that is, in a very very snug fit in my salomon speedcrosses. I woulda gone up half a size had I known I would do this combination when I bought the shoes).

The 2 pairs I got ran me about 6-8$ each if memory serves me right. The store you bought them from probably has those, too. Get a pair, try the shoes with them on. If the heel still slips, return the shoes. But keep the socks. They are worth it!
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    That's funny because just before I headed out today, and before I saw your post I picked up a pair of my husband's wool socks from Cabela's and briefly considered trying them but then headed out in my favorite Under Amour socks. Anyway, no blisters, and the shoes felt great until mile 6, so shortly after I switched back to my brooks running shoes I had thrown in the car just in case. Finished my 8 mile trail run with only a slight blister. I will definitely try the wool socks next time. It makes sense that they should do the trick.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I use a UA sock liner and Merino wool socks for trail running for everything that @krokador stated. For longer endurance events I make sure to pack several pairs in my pack.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different feet, biomechanics and shoe preferences! Personally I currently race in IceBug Acceleritas.

While sing socks to fudge a little wiggle room....they definitely shouldn't be used to "Band-Aid" poor fitting shoes. That will end in injuries worse than blisters. Obviously you will need to make that call or find a local shoe expert to help you out.