Rewards?

Options
TheVonada
TheVonada Posts: 66 Member
Does anyone self-reward for hitting milestones or mini-goals? Does it actually work as motivation to get to those goals faster? And what kinds of things do you reward yourself with?
Personally, I reward myself with new things - I went clothes shopping when I hit 50 pounds down a few weeks ago - not just because I needed to (all of my pants were too big, even with a belt), but because it felt GREAT to be able to be shopping in an actual store and not ordering from a catalog like I'd been doing for years for most clothes.

Replies

• sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do think it's a good idea to reward yourself, and I like to do this. I've just got a Fitbit as a reward for losing 2 stone, and have decided to buy a nice new water bottle as a reward when I hit 3.

My husband suggested that we could go out for a meal as a reward, and I had to insist that rewards for weight loss should never be food for me. (We can go out for dinner sometimes and I can plan for that and factor it in and make the best choices to stay in my calorie budget, but not as a weight loss reward)

New clothes are going to be necessary for all of us (yeah!) so that's a good idea for reward!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I haven't really rewarded myself yet - I haven't even bought new clothes yet! I still had plenty from the last time I lost weight..... lol

But it's a nice idea!
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I see quite a few people, mostly women, have a new hair style in their before and after pix. I was thinking at maybe under 200 getting highlights, just cause I have never done it before. It would also be fun to pick an activity you have not been able to do with the extra weight and plan for it. Even like amusement park when u get to the weight you know you will fit on all the rides comfortably... massage, pedi, game tickets, theatre show, etc.
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do stained glass - so at my goals (one was winning a challenge at work which came with $150 and the other I am saving for 50 lbs) I buy that great piece of glass that I have been dreaming of.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I bought myself some workout clothing that are xxl this weekend. It's a bit small but it should fit in another week or 2. I also got a set of bluetooth earbuds. They were a reward for hitting the 10lbs lost.

I am trying to keep rewards to stuff to make my exercise more comfortable. When I hit 20lbs lost I'll likely need to buy a couple sets of clothes for work. Weird circle, I lose weight and reward myself with stuff to lose more weight easier.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm not advocating my way, but this is what I do: I allocate money to making losing weight easier as a matter of course, and clothing is a necessity. Goals and treats are things I would not buy otherwise. Maybe a facial or lasering or jewelry, or experiences. I purposely count a ton of things as regular maintenance, so I can't count them as a reward. I'm a fan of movies or concerts or trips or books.
  • abbelina04
    abbelina04 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think a reward system is a must! When I lost 20lbs I bought a new outfit head to toe when I lose 50lbs I am getting my teeth professionally whited
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I tend to be extreme. Hit my original goal and bought myself a new car.

The caveat is is I gain any back....my wife gets to drive the new one and I have to drive her
    older Chevy.
  • TheVonada
    TheVonada Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've decided to get my first tattoo when I lose 100 pounds. It's going to be the Libra symbol (my Zodiac sign) to remind me that everything in life needs to be balanced.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I picked my new bike up yesterday, but wasn't able to ride it because I need to raise the seat and the handlebars, and I don't have the right allen wrench to do it. I did try a little in the yard with some rather humerous results - it's been over 20 years since I last road a bike. We'll see if the old saying is true that one never forgets! Meanwhile, I'm stopping after work this evening to get the right size wrenches, and then I need to find a nice, flat, secluded place to practice! There's a little cemetery down the road......that should work......