Sit Less Boot Camp Impact and Summary

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
aafahids07oh.jpg

Hi Everyone,

As we wrap up May’s Sit Less Boot Camp, I wanted to give you some information about this month's challenge and the collective impact we've had in sitting less and moving more.

At least 244 My Fitness Pal members participated in May's Sit Less Boot Camp. Participants came from 17 countries: the US, Canada, Australia, the UK, Netherlands, Germany, India, Malaysia, Nigeria, Portugal, Romania, Austria, Cyprus, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, and Trinidad & Tobago. This certainly was a global effort.

Many of you also took the additional step of creating your own customized sit less plan and selecting a target for reducing your daily sitting (recall the Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels). If you joined us late or missed that post and would like to be included in the group total, there's still time. Here's the link: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/act-now.html.

Collectively, our group has pledged to reduce their sitting time by 25,003 hours a year! That's impressive!

The most popular actions for sitting less (from those who created their sit less plan) are:
  • Getting up and moving every 30 minutes or so at work
  • Standing for 5 minutes on the hour, each hour at work
  • Setting a reminder to take movement breaks throughout the day
  • Getting a targeted number of steps each day
  • Getting up and walking during commercials
  • Walking around when on phone calls

Here is our summary image that is now proudly displayed on the Quitting the Sitting website for all to see (http://www.quittingthesitting.org/about-us.html). Thanks to everyone who participated!

vd23pu28jek9.jpg

Sit Less Boot Camp Returns October 1:
Sit Less Boot Camp will be back this fall and yes…there will be challenges that will help you get your fall cleanup projects done! Although the content won't change too much, quite a few of our Boot Camp alumni regularly return because they like participating in a focused effort to sit less and move more. If you want to join us again in October and would like a reminder a few days before the next start date, here's the reminder link: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/sit-less-boot-camp-reminder.html.

If Boot Camp was beneficial to you, I'd appreciate your help:
I will start promoting October’s Boot Camp the last week of September through another blog post describing the program. Chances are you learned of Boot Camp because of the promo blog post. If the blog receives enough “upvotes” it will be listed on the sidebar under “Popular Blog Posts” and lots of MFP folks will see it. So please…if you see the blog listed…please upvote it and help spread the word. Posting about an upcoming Boot Camp on your newsfeed to your MFP friends is also very helpful and much appreciated.

Just a Final Note:
Although this group, the Challenge-A-Day group, hasn’t been too active lately, that’s changing very soon. The challenges are coming back! While you may have found the Challenge-A-Day group because of Sit Less Boot Camp, please stay with us and let's encourage each other to improve our lives a little each day. You can read what I have in mind here.

Thank you for participating in Sit Less Boot Camp. Please keep in touch!

Warmly,

Denise

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    dakgqdvz961g.png
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am trying to really incorporate moving for 5 minutes on the hour during the day to my daily life now not perfect at it but certainly doing much better
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Looks like we made some great progress and have taken away some useful tips to help us sit less and move more. :)
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    o:) Amazing o:)