The Future of This Group...Please Read and Respond

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
Hello Everyone,

As most of you know by now, this group has not been very active since Auna's laptop died last October, forcing her offline. I know she intended to resume her daily postings as soon as possible, but that hasn't worked out as she intended. I hope she comes back soon! She has deftly led this group for several years now and was very gracious and enthusiastic in giving Sit Less Boot Camp a permanent home here.

I've missed the challenges and I'm a strong believer in the purpose of our group: "bettering our lives one challenge at a time". So last week, I volunteered to become the new group leader. I'm still hopeful that Auna will return and when that happens I will happily give her back the steering wheel. But I don't know if that's going to happen. I don't want us to remain in limbo… let's move forward!

There is one significant "but". I can't make the commitment to post a new daily challenge every day. I try not to commit to anything that isn't sustainable for me and I know I'd burn out quickly if I tried to post a new challenge every day. But I can commit to posting a WEEKLY challenge (and occasionally a second alternative challenge) every Monday...something that we can work on throughout the week.

I think there's a lot of merit to weekly challenges that have a particular theme. My mind is spinning with all the exciting themes we could pursue all under the umbrella of "bettering our lives one challenge at a time". Yes, diet and exercise are clearly important, but stress, sleep, happiness, social connectedness, and even clutter, as well as many other factors, all impact our health and well being. As many of you know, I am a firm believer that small daily habit changes can have a transformative impact on our lives. A one-time challenge to get more sleep is OK, but a seven day effort to get more sleep could have some real staying power!

I recognize this is a shift in direction for this group. If there is someone in our group (or maybe several people?) who can commit to posting daily challenges, I am happy to work with that person.

If we go in the direction of weekly challenges, I'd like to hold off for awhile on any group name changes. If it appears that Auna is not returning, it's very easy for me to make the name change.

I'd like to keep this thread active this week to get as much input and feedback as we can. If there is a consensus to move to weekly challenges, the first one will be posted on Monday, May 29th.

Please let us know what you think. Thanks!

--Denise

Replies

• jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate your effort and time spent helping to better our lives. Hopefully Auna comes back as well. Do you keep in contact with her? If so, that's one way to maintain a daily challenge, by getting ideas from her and just posting them for her.
    If that's not possible, then I'm all for a weekly challenge. I've often thought about how I'd like to work on a particular challenge longer. Whatever you decide, I'm all in.
    In this case would it be a constant weekly challenge, like every week, or would it be for a limited time, like the 21 Day boot camp?
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I actually like the idea of a weekly challenge..Maybe for something like week 1..the challenge i.e...steps 10,000 and by week end challenge would be to see how many met goal and went over goal? That way the challenge is out there but the individual would work each day posting what they were able to accomplish. Just an idea?
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jlperiard wrote: »
    I really appreciate your effort and time spent helping to better our lives. Hopefully Auna comes back as well. Do you keep in contact with her? If so, that's one way to maintain a daily challenge, by getting ideas from her and just posting them for her.
    If that's not possible, then I'm all for a weekly challenge. I've often thought about how I'd like to work on a particular challenge longer. Whatever you decide, I'm all in.
    In this case would it be a constant weekly challenge, like every week, or would it be for a limited time, like the 21 Day boot camp?

@jlperiard No, I haven't heard from Auna. I have her email address and I am going to reach out to her and see if there's an update. If we go the weekly challenge route, there will be a different challenge posted each week and it will be something that lends itself to working on throughout the week. I like @Ming1951 's idea of a step challenge and I'm adding it to the list of potential challenges. If we go down the weekly path, I'll have a suggestion box up for people to post their challenge suggestions.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,023 Member
    Options
    I think the weekly challenge idea is a good one. During April, which is National Poetry Month, I commit to posting a poem and an accompanying image each day. It is lots of fun, but by the end of the month, I'm glad to be finished with that daily chore. I'm glad that you are wise enough to avoid spoiling your enthusiasm by over committing yourself. I don't see the need for a name change since we'll be working daily on the weekly challenge. A suggestion box is a great idea, and I'd be glad to share any ideas that come my way.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I actually like the idea of a weekly challenge, too!
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of a weekly challenge. Since it takes at least 21 days to form a habit, a weekly challenge is 7 of those 21 days and has the potential to change a lot of habits. I know I have become very consistent about setting my computer clock for 50 minutes in these 20 days. :blush: I am not sure a new challenge every day, that is not centered on a theme, would be as effective. I also love the idea of a "suggestion box (post)" for ideas because as all of us know, one of the hardest part of running a successful group for a long period of time is coming up with ideas that keep everyone motivated. It is a lot to expect of one person.

On a second note, it would also seem to me that a name change might not really be necessary. It could stay A Challenge a Day and in May and October, simply be the Sit Less Boot Camp Challenge as its monthly theme. You may only post one challenge a week, but we will be trying to implement it every day right? That sounds like a Challenge a Day to me! :laugh:
  • lunabellz
    lunabellz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like the weekly idea also.
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of a weekly challenge as well
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Having a weekly challenge is a good idea. I like that the challenges are geared toward everyone to do within their own capabilities. Thanks for caring enough to consider keeping this going!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your hard work! Weekly challenge would be nice!
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely enjoy a weekly challenge. Gives a little more time to work on it and maybe have slightly more complex challenges and/or more days to reinforce it.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Thanks for supporting this topic. I think a weekly challenge maybe once a month would work. It is hard to come up with a weekly challenge every week. I even filled out the survey suggestion a Seasonal challenge of two weeks. But whatever, I will be following along when I can.
  • Silinde
    Silinde Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Weekly challenge sound fine to me too.
    Thank you for taking up the task of leading the group (?ad interim?).
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Weekly challenge sounds great! Totally understand where you are coming from. Hope it works out.
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Weekly sounds good. I'm looking forward to the first challenge :)
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    This morning when I was out and about I was wishing there would be some way to keep the connection going somehow, perhaps weekly or monthly. And how to keep the sitting less theme continuing on my own. I just now read this thread! I am so happy!! Great ideas!

A different challenge everyday on random themes for "forever" would be way too daunting for me, personally, even if the challenges were amazing. I would not be able to create a viable habit(s) doing that. I'm talking only personally because others might well love the concept and be able to run with it.

So... I'll vote for a weekly challenge. Thank you so very much. I agree that the suggestion box is a great idea also. One never knows when a good idea might just pop into our minds.

:flowerforyou:
  • WILLALOUISE
    WILLALOUISE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Weekly challenges = 7 days toward sustainable habit changes
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,355 Member
    Options
    I would love to be part of a weekly challenge. I wouldn't want you to burn out though. If you even need to go to every other Monday challenges, it would help keep me going. I have really enjoyed this and I agree with all your ideas to "total health". Stress, rest, diet, activity, meditation, etc. all work together to keep us healthy. Thank you for being willing to continue working with us!