5/21 Sunday Day 21 SLBC Please Share Your Accomplishments!

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
27opd8i9ay1x.jpg

And now we cross the finish line of Sit Less Boot Camp!

Theme: Our Sit Less Accomplishments!

Today’s Challenge: On the last day of Boot Camp, please share the progress you’ve made in sitting less and moving more. Nothing is too small or too big to be noted and celebrated.

And if you’ve encountered some frustration and resistance along the way, please share that as well. There is likely someone in our group who has experienced the same thing and can give you assistance and support.

Two Additional Posts:
I have added a final Boot Camp post summarizing this session, our collective impact in sitting less, and a few concluding thoughts. For those of you who would like to stay with us after Boot Camp ends, please check out the Future of This Group post.

Thanks for being part of May’s Sit Less Boot Camp!!

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    885moc6fhn8g.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this fantastic challenge! I really learned the importance of not sitting and the benefit of getting up and moving. I really love the app- Move Your App! Thanks again for a fantastic challenge!
  • PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've become much more mindful of making sure I move around more than just during exercise. My body aches less since it has less time to be still. Thanks for the awesome challenge!
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I am so happy that I joined this challenge. It gave me "food for thought" and helped me admit to myself just how much sitting I do. I'm no longer the reigning queen of sitting and I don't know of anyone standing in line to take my place. Thank you for taking the lead and the education.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,023 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I always find boot camp invigorating. It helps me get re-energized. I've been on MFP for quite a while, and I need a kick in the pants from time to time. I had become pretty sloppy about my logging and I was feeling a little helpless with keeping my food choices in line. Committing to a challenge really helps me stay in line.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the boot camp! I've become much more aware and mindful. I've started some new habits, and with summer and nice weather coming, hoping to get outside a lot more. I think I'm still adjusting physically to my new fitness routines and now my sit less routines - I'm experiencing a strange combination of energy boosts and feeling more tired. So, need to work on ramping up slowly, or eating more, or just ride out the adjustment period.

The challenge has definitely given me a lot to think about. I hope to be a good example for my family.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I teach college classes online, so I spend hours sitting at a computer. When I started this challenge, I did not really post because I was not sure I would stick to my "One Thing." :blush: However, I have been very consistently setting the timer on my computer for 50 minutes and when it goes off, I get up and do something for 10 minutes minimum. I will say that my house is much cleaner and more well organized than it has been in a long time and I am meeting my "Walk Challenge" goals more consistently in another group I belong to on MFP!!!! :laugh: I have always been fairly good at working out, but this challenge has shown me that I am even more energetic and sleep better when I move every 50 minutes on days that I am stuck at the computer. Thank you so much for this group! :smile:
  • lunabellz
    lunabellz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted much but have learned so much and have been made aware of moving and that is a real win for me. My house is getting cleaned an organized and I hope this will help with some weight loss. I will sign up for October class. Thank you!
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy reading tips, tricks, and suggestions for sitting less and moving more. I incorporate a fair number of them into my daily life already, but I'm always on the lookout for more. I've also really enjoyed the infographics, articles and other shared resources. @themedalist, thanks so much for sharing them with me! They're great for handy reminders and encouragement.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Fun to see what others are doing to move more. Enjoyed the walking infographic. I have shared some of the info here with a group of over 60s that I moderate.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This has revved up my "sitting less." I'm fairly active, thanks in large part to the SLBC last May. But, I was reminded of a couple things I'd forgotten, like pacing in the hall when I talk on the phone, and picked them up again. <3 Thanks, Denise!!
  • RDancer5
    RDancer5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have added a daily walk into my routine every day. I can tell me stride has gotten faster, and I have found new paths and routes to give myself options of longer walks, which is not something I thought I would do when I started! I feel my energy has increased a lot. And while I agree that health is about the life you gain, I have also dropped some lbs! This came into my life at the perfect moment and I feel motivated and ready to continue on a healthier lifestyle.
  • arkaycee
    arkaycee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The biggest plus for me was finding out about the Time Out Mac app. I fight resenting it when it goes off mid-typing but I'm getting better at taking that break.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    The number one biggest thing, I believe for me, was actually discovering how much harm to my body that all this sitting was potentially doing. I absolutely had no idea :noway: .

I knew that 'moving more' was good for me o:) , but I had no idea how bad the 'not moving' was :grumble: .

I thought that if I exercised or took a walk that day that I was doing really good things for my body. And that the negatives were only when I did not exercise for the day.... not when I was sitting and taking it easy while doing a relaxing activity (or on some days many relaxing activities), or sitting and doing important things like paperwork on the computer, browsing, emailing. Or while reading my Bible, or eating my meals.... snacks.... more snacks.... a little chocolate :laugh:.... watching TV, coloring, doing puzzles, reading books.... the list could go on and on.

I also discovered how quickly, I could accomplish something when I decided that I could do it standing up....like going through my junk mail for recycling.

Or how much more I could get done such as decluttering, or clean up something in the house, or start a load of laundry that can be hung out outside, or go out to the garden, instead of sitting down.

Or that I can do things differently, like read my Bible or novel at the kitchen counter while standing up. Who would have thunk ;) it?

And that I can use my tablet standing up at the kitchen counter, instead of while sitting down, for reading or browsing on the internet or reading on the Kindle app, although I still use the desktop for more extensive typing on the computer and paperwork. I'll know I'm really catching the sitting less thing when I watch a movie, or even some of it, on NetFlix, on my tablet while standing up....

And speaking of using the desktop computer.... I installed a simple countdown timer on my favorite browser. And I am getting much better of at least being aware of how long I have actually been spending on the computer. Especially when I have to keep resetting the timer :noway:. I definitely struggle with actually stopping.
    This will be an area that I will have to diligently work on to change old habits, and learn to streamline my time on the computer, and to just say "NO" more often if it is not critical to get onto the computer.... and instead find an active or standing activity or chore to accomplish.

I learned that my walks are accomplishing more for me than being simply my exercise for the day.

I have learned so much since discovering the Sit Less Boot Camp. I am so grateful that I stumbled onto this group and challenge.

Denise, thank you so much for this challenge and sharing your website and all the different articles and resources, as well as all the work that you did to make the challenge happen. I appreciate it more than you could know.... then again.... I'm certain that you do know, since you have walked this walk for quite a while, and it is also an integral part of your life.

Blessings,
    :flowerforyou:

• Silinde
    Silinde Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I read above that people find it difficult to get up every now and then from the computer. I found that hard too, especially when you're in the middle of finishing something. But at least this challenge has made me get up more regularily, albeit not exactly timed every hour or so.
    I haven't found a solution for driving the car yet, and with 4 hours of work-home/home-work driving it can count. Well, except for parking and rejoining traffic every hour, but in a traffic jam people are not going to let you join in again easily and I could lose too much time to be able to fetch the kids, it's often a close call already.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Moving helps me with my mood, weight loss, and overall health. I love the support I get from this group and all the ideas and challenges you come up with. Thanks for your hard work!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,356 Member
    Options
    I have become very much more aware of how much time I spend sitting down. I never realized! I have incorporated many new habits into my daily routine. I now alternate between sitting and standing at my desk job, I use the restroom upstairs now and take the stairs (not elevator) to get there. I park at the end of the parking lot now at work and at stores so I walk further. I move during commercials at night. I have been hitting my step goal almost every day for over a week now which is unheard of for me. I cannot thank you enough!

I am a bit saddened to find out I have another meniscus tear and have to have another knee scope so that will slow me down again, but I'm hoping not for long!