Home gym

Options
Naruya
Naruya Posts: 81 Member
Hi everyone! I started SL last week and I think I'm really going to like it. I've started and quit lifting before but the main problem (I think) was that I wasn't following a structured program and there was no progression. I love that I'm adding weight every time and I can actually feel myself getting stronger. I started really light because I'm weak as hell, but I'll get there.

Here's the thing - I'm doing this at home with my crappy setup and I'll run out of weight to add soon. I could buy some more plates but my current equipment is really cheap and I don't want to invest more money into stuff that won't last.

So I'm thinking of buying an olympic set instead. By the time I run out of weight to add I'll have reached the 20kg so I can continue from there with the empty bar. But, I'll also need to invest in a squat/power rack and a new bench, which are quite expensive.

Now, I do have the money but I'm really having a hard time deciding if it's worth spending 1000+ euros on this equipment when I can use that to buy a gym membership for 5 years. I do have the room for it and being able to lift whenever I want without having to wait on people and having no travel time are all great, but it's still a lot of money.

So my question - does anyone here have a home gym they use for SL? What would you do in my shoes?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would keep an eye out on Craigslist or something similar. People are always selling their old work out equipment.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I bought used! I have been lifting for 3 years now and it's the best decision I've ever made. I love lifting at home. No excuse to miss a workout! Learn the roll of shame for bench press if you don't have a spotter. Watch videos on utube and practice.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I wish I had my own equipment and a house for said equipment.

Do you currently have a bench you are using? Would it be possible to start off with the cage and later upgrade the bench? That is what I'd probably consider as the bar and the cage are very helpful for SL and many other programs if you end up moving on from there some day. You can use a bench in the rack with the safeties, so you don't need to have one that has the attachments to rack the bar, when you do look for benches. I don't like benching in the rack at the gym but if had my own, would probably consider just a bench that is adjustable but without the rack so can use it for dumbbell work and other stuff too, plus don't have to roll of shame with the safeties, though it's really not bad. I did the roll of shame twice yesterday, in fact.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i like the public lifting. not that a home gym is an option for me because my landlords would have a cow (can't blame them either. top floor of an old house is not the place to be deadlifting on).

so i guess what i'd do in your place is: wait until i was maxed out with the current equipment, and then try the public space for a couple of months. and THEN decide. right now you don't know if you 'need' the home setup or not, because you don't know enough about the alternative.
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Having eventually got fed up with the over subscription at my local gym and having to queue for equipment I bit the bullet and purchased an Inspire FT2 functional trainer. Definitely not cheap but a great piece of quality semi commercial equipment. There is nothing that you can do at the gym that you can't do on this, Exchanged mine and partners gym membership fees for this on 36 months interest free credit. Plus it is mine at the end. Definitely worth a look.

by0ascomgwh8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wieyfOeJYuM
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    We really lucked out and bought a power rack off a friend who just wanted it gone. We got the rack, a few bars, a few pulls, 500 pounds of weight and a set of Bowflex adjustable weights for $200. My husband and I do SL together.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    First, I had to look up the Euros to $$$ conversion. :D You have a nice chunk of change at your disposal. My advice would be to get a good barbell and rack, don't cheap out on those. Weights are weights. Bumpers cost more than Iron Plates and aren't necessary unless you're going to do Olympic Lifting. Flat Benches aren't that expensive. You should be able to find something decent for around $100.00.

I really like Rogue Fitness. They're pricey but you get what you pay for. Not sure what else you have in your part of the world, but look for CrossFit equipment and you'll find others.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I set up a workable home gym for maybe $250 bucks including bench, squat rack, bar and first set of plates. I order new plates and fractional plates from Amazon as needed. If I had to go to a gym, I'd never lift - but many folks love that environment.