Daily Check In (May 22 - 28)

Options
AZLisaLou
AZLisaLou Posts: 240 Member
So what's everyone got going on this week? Successes? Trip-ups? Goals? Life?

Replies

• NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    More busy ssstttuuufff... awards ceremony for 6th grader and 5th grade graduation party.
    I've been struggling with getting to the gym. I've had no energy for the last two weeks, stress, or I don't know what. My dermatitis has been really bad and I've literally lost half of my hair :( my scalp is itchy and the medicated shampoo makes my hair fall out like crazy and it thins it our as well... makes me sad... I guess this too shall pass.
    Maybe tomorrow I'll get the energy to at least walk the treadmill. Eating is mostly ok!
    Hope you girls are doing better than me! :smile:
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!!! I got good news yesterday that my pathology came back as benign.. so that's good news! YAY! I am so relieved. I am back on track with my logging today... I went a little off the rails this weekend with my daughter's bday. I ate too much cake and ice cream so... now its time to get serious this week. I'm planning to go back to the gym first week of June. My throat is healing quick but still pretty sore and I'm tired a lot. Today is the kiddo's dress rehearsal for a talent show, looking forward to getting to see her sing. @AZLisaLou I hope you're having a good week.. and hopefully you can get your sleep straightened out. Sleep is soooooo important! @NadiaMayl you crack me up with your description of checking your email... lol... I can relate. I am sorry to hear you're having such trouble with your skin and hair :neutral: I hope you can get some relief sooner rather than later. Here's to a better week ahead than the last one for all of us!
  • NadiaMayl
    Options
    @Kerryatoon yay!!!!!! What a relief it must be to get the results back!!!! To kick some butt into more healthiness!
    I think I'm now just in a permanent state of exhaustion! And obviously, like everyone else, no time to recover so we plough through! I hope my head stops itching soon because it's getting more uncomfortable and now painful; plus a constant reminder of the hair loss.
    Hope your week is going well @AZLisaLou !
  • AZLisaLou
    Options
    @nadiamayl, so sorry to hear about your skin and hair! How terrible to be going through that, along with everything else piled on your plate. I hope you get some relief soon (from everything!).

@kerryatoon YEA! GREAT news! So relieved for you.

My eating is ok. Soda is so-so. Exercise? What's that?! ugh. I gotta do it; I just can't find the initiative. Kids had their last day of school today. Yea! I get to sleep in a bit now, and I don't have to roll out of bed and instantly become chef for breakfasts and lunches. They can make their own food for the summer....mama's off duty! lol. I won't leave them hanging all the time, but sheesh. They're 17 and 15. I think they can take care of themselves a bit, don't you?!

I have an appointment on Friday to see my regular doctor about the steps I need to take to get a sleep study done.
  • NadiaMayl
    Options
    Better morning here! Still itchy, I took a treatment of yeast meds (I had laying around) last night and I'm hoping it will help!! Two more doses!
    I got off my sorry *kitten* kitten and dragged myself to a CrossFit class with a friend! I survived!!! Whew, it does feel good to move again!!
    How's everyone today?!
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Good morning! I'm good today.. I stayed on track on my cals yesterday and am going to focus on eliminating sugar and keeping carbs low for today. I think that when I have sugar it triggers a serious crave for more. I'm focusing on one day at a time with that. Still not going back to the gym... I need to see the chiropractor first. GOOD JOB @NadiaMayl! @AZLisaLou I would say they can fend for themselves.. lol :)
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Good morning! I kicked total *kitten* on my goals yesterday. I kept my sugar down to 17 g (all from food, not added) and my net carbs were 27! I felt like crap.. having headaches and feeling super tired but I know that it is withdrawls from the sugar so I'm just getting through it. LOTS of water, herbal tea, and salt. The weirdest thing I noticed is when I'm keeping my diet low sugar/ low carb I have a hard time reaching my calorie goals. I finished with a total of 1060 cals yesterday and at NO POINT was I hungry. In fact, I felt satisfied all day. So I'm going to keep going. Looking forward to reaching my goals today too. Hope you are all having a good day! XOX!
  • AZLisaLou
    Options
    @nadiamayl and @kerryatoon you both are doing great! @kerryatoon, I know what you mean on getting lower calories with less sugar and carbs, but still feeling satisfied. I've had that happen myself, too. It seems like it would be a no-brainer for me to do it all the time. I hope you have better luck at sticking to it!

as for me, still working on just keeping my eating in check. Not made any easier by the fact that I made a lemon cheesecake with a graham cracker/coconut crust last night. The family cries foul when there are no snacks or anything for them. Problem is, when they're in the house then I eat them. But as my 15 year old so lovingly said, "Then you should show self control. It's not our fault that you don't want to have snacks." Where do I find self control and balance? I'm not sure....still looking.

Other than a slice of cheesecake, I had a deli meat chicken sandwich and I've been drinking diet today. Fajitas last night were delish, but I ate too much of it. :( When it's good I can't stop! Some days I wish I was a terrible cook. lol. Actually, now that I think about it, I might have been ok with last night's dinner. I only had one tortilla. I just had 2 servings of meat and stir fried onions, peppers and mushrooms with some sour cream and a bit of cheese. That doesn't sound so bad, right? I mean, if you're going to eat "too much" then it should be with protein and veggies.

My goal for the rest of the day is to stay out of the cheesecake, and only have 1 serving of the casserole I'm making for dinner.
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    @AZLisaLou I get it!!! I don't think it's about self-control. I honestly think sugar addiction is a real thing. I am also in recovery for substances, alcohol, and nicotine, and it's common in our circles for people to identify the same addictive behaviors around sugar as other substances. I did an inventory about it this week and discovered that I use sugar in similar ways that I used other things.

1. Once I start it is hard to stop.
    2. I can't have just a little, I crave more and more.
    3. Once I eat some sugar (or wheat flour, rice, potatoes) it sets off the phenomenon of craving and I start feeling hungry for more.
    4. No amount of "want or willpower" is sufficient to keep me from bingeing.
    5. The only way to stop craving it is abstinence (one day at a time).
    6. When I try to stop I experience actual physical withdrawls.

Anyway... after that eye opener I made a decision to try detoxing from sugar. I'm committing to 4 weeks at first to see how I feel. I'm actually eating so few carbs I may get into Keto again but that's not my goal really, just something to note so I get enough electrolytes. I mostly want to do it long enough to see how I feel and see if the carb/sugar cravings will start to go away. I'm fortunate that I have recovery tools to use on this problem as well. I used the same set of tools to quit smoking last year and it worked then so I have faith it will work now as long as I stay willing.

So far today I feel a bit better. I might be going into keto (my pee smells like acetone) :open_mouth:, and I have a slight headache but not as tired as yesterday.

I'm looking forward to the feeling I get when I reach my goal again today.
  • NadiaMayl
    Options
    Oh yes, the evil sugar addiction!!!!!! Years ago I had to go through a Candida diet. I spent 6 months eating only meat, eggs, non-starchy veggies and yogurt. The first 3 weeks were hard, detoxing from sugar and all sugar-producing foods was horrid, headaches, nausea, aches, just like a flu. But once I got through the detox, I felt awesome! Energy, clear of mind, healthy. So I get what your saying, but it's totally worth it!!! And now, if I eat a sweet, it kicks the cravings off!!!
    I went to spin class today! It felt good after yesterday's crossfit!! I'm a bit sore but in a good way! Ate well and within calorie goal. Drank plenty of water.
    Been a hard day of working on my mom's move to Mexico to My brother's. I hope it'll be a good cahnage for her and she'll find a higher quality of life than what she's had. It's stirred up a bunch of emotions I wasn't expecting! I booked tickets to fly her down on the 5th of June and my dad will come up to watch my boys (because, of course, hubby is in Europe for work for that week and two weeks more)! I'm tired!!!!! Nevertheless, I persist!
    Keep up the good work! @Kerryatoon you are sounding pumped, that makes me smile!! @AZLisaLou sometimes our kids are too smart for their (and our) own good, I hope them stinkers are the cheesecake before you got tempted!! But I'm proud of you for sticking to this little support group and keeping yourself accountable!!! Let us know what the doctor says about the sleep study!!!!
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Sending positive thoughts and woo-woo energy to both of you tonight! I made my goals today.. went a little over my cal goal but within reason and my sugar and carbs were almost nil. Still feeling a bit rough.. using "ketoade" to help offset the withdrawals. Thanks for the encouragement @NadiaMayl.. I am pumped! Wishing you peace as your mom moves.. change is hard. Great job on the workouts!!! That's my next goal. :)@AZLisaLou I hope you're having a great day and looking forward to a holiday weekend.
    Goodnight!
  • AZLisaLou
    Options
    @kerryatoon your list of addiction symptoms is spot on for me too. I can't go without carbs. I'm supposed to have 180g a day according to my health advisor and the ADA. I just have to choose the right ones, which has been a problem. Sugar has been a serious problem for me forever. To be honest, detoxing from it sounds so scary and awful. I don't think I could do it. Especially with having to feed the rest of my family as well. I could put them through it too, but I just don't have the willpower to do that to them also. After some complaining I'd give in. Even though I know it's best for all of us. I was going to say I could get by with eating fruits as snacks, but I like peanut butter with my apples, and of course the p.b. has sugar :( boo. I think the biggest thing for me is to detox from soda, and that's proving to be a mountain not easy to climb as well. So happy you are meeting your goals!!! Glad to hear the flu symptoms are being helped with some aids this time around.

@nadiamayl when you went through sugar detox, did you make your husband and kids go without too? How did you manage through having a family and trying to get off sugar for yourself? Sending you good vibes as you go through moving your mom. That must be super tough for you. Hopefully it will soon prove to be the best thing for her. Good for you for getting to spin class and crossfit! I know that "feel good" kind of hurt (it's a distant memory lol!), and it encourages you to keep it up.

The cheesecake is gone. I had way too much of it. I used to bake a lot, but now I only do it once in a while. So when I do it's a treat for all of us, including me. I've managed to not have bad snacks other than the cheesecake. I'm having a really hard time getting back into logging, weighing and measuring everything again. I used to do it religiously and it was an addiction too. I got away from it though on the suggestion of my dietician aunt. She said to start relying on my own knowledge of proper portion sizes rather than go through all the weighing and measuring. I wasn't too sure about her suggestion and ideas, but I thought, "Well, it would be nice to not be chained to my kitchen scale and measuring devices." But it's proved to be the worst thing for me. I know I haven't been staying in my calories goal, otherwise I wouldn't be in this stagnant position for so long. I had been staying within the same 3 lbs since the beginning of the year, but I know I've gained some in the past week or two...even though other than the cheesecake I don't know what I did differently.

Wishing you all a good weekend. Even though it's a 3 day weekend because of Memorial Day, we don't do anything special. No bbq's to navigate through or anything like that, which is good. Hope you all reach your goals over the weekend! btw, has anyone reached out to @heatherc369 to try to invite her back. I sent her an email a while back like I did for you two, but she never responded to me. I see she is still on FD because the home screen lists her weight loss and days logged in. I hope she is doing ok.

Wow! that post was a freaking book! sorry :/
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Good evening ladies! I am on day erm...4?...I think of my sugar detox and mostly doing well. Feeling irritable and have a mild headache that is stubbornly hanging on. But I stuck with it and I know the only way to the other side of this is through it..so here I go! I made delicious omelettes for us for breakfast, homemade pizza for the kiddo for lunch while I made mine with a "cheese crust" which is pretty freaking awesome and we had shrimp scampi and spinach (I made my daughter mashed potatoes too) for dinner. I went over my cal goals, but was still in a deficit at 1490..so overall a successful day! I had less than 20g carbs and less than 8g sugar so I must be getting into Keto. I had a couple strong sugar craves today but I just reminded myself it's temporary and distracted myself with something else...I painted a picture..lol!
    @AZLisaLou I totally hear you on the soda... I'm hoping you can reach that goal tomorrow! It feels good to meet even one goal per day. I don't know how you have the willpower to do it.. that's why I'm doing this detox because I'm hoping that after this I will not have to fight craves so hard. I think it will get easier as time passes.. much like smoking did.. we'll see. Fingers crossed!!!
    @NadiaMayl hope you're doing alright with your mom moving! Have you been to spin or workout this weekend?
  • NadiaMayl
    Options
    Hey girls! Laying low this weekend (I normally don't go to any classes, sometimes just treadmill). I suspect I will be very busy this coming week with continued work to get mom moved. Husband flew to Europe today so I needed some lazy 'me and kids' afternoon. Just movies. Now they're both in bed! I fly mom down to Mx next week Monday. I go through all kinds of roller coaster emotions and I'm sure it'll continue for a few months. My brother, however, is excited and has been shopping all weekend to get her settled in, it's kinda cute!
    Alories have been ok, plenty of water. But no major efforts. Which right now, is ok.
    Last week of school coming up... another bit to get through with 5th grade graduation for my youngest... hehehe seems like life is throwing emotional stuff at me all of June!
    Hope you both start this week strong, regardless of the long weekend! :smile:
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    My 5th Grader is singing in her talent show tomorrow!! I'm so excited that I can get off work to go see her. I've done well this weekend and continued my sugar detox and low carb streak. I kept my carbs around 20 all weekend! Today was went up to 35 which is still super low so I'm happy with that. I was on point with my calories & water and just today started feeling a bit better. I am feeling a little less cravings for carbs and sugar... hope that as time goes by it will get less and less. I don't want to have to flex my willpower muscles so hard anymore. I just want to be comfortable without all the sugar in my diet. Tools step forward toward that goal this week. Day 6 of my sugar detox down! Boom. Hope you all have a good week!! Hang in there @Nadiamayl, sending hugs to you for all the hard things yuh have going on this week. @AZLisaLou I hope you are well... I'm looking forward to hearing how your weekend went. I'm glad that you have kept the lights on here while I was out of commission for a while.